Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Really bad news ... I had just left the bike shop, on my way to the sporting goods to see if they had some cycling gloves that would fit me. Had rode my LHT about two miles, and a car rear-ended me! I almost crashed ... don't know how I managed to stay up!

I noticed instantly that the rear wheel wouldn't turn, and thought the bike was trashed. The young lady (19 years old) was totally freaking out ....

After we exchanged information, the lady wanted to pay for the damage, rather than go through the insurance. One of the witnesses was nice enough to help me out. He put my bike in the back of his pick-up, tied it up real good.

Took me to the bike shop. We waited for the lady. The mechanic said that the only damage is the rear wheel. So they ordered a new wheel, and the lady paid for everything.

I'm really bummed out, and afraid to ride anymore .... I had my Real Lite on, pedaling about 15mph, in the center of the right lane. It had just started to rain, and the young girl was following me too close, then slammed on her brakes, and went sliding out of control.

I just hope I don't have any more close calls! That was too close!

- Riding 4 Life
http://vj4him.blogspot.com/

·
abominable slowman
1,072 Posts
Wowsers, that is too close.

At least she made good on her mistake, but that's small consolation.

Was it dark?

·
Registered
417 Posts
WOW! glad you are OK, I have a PB super flash and have been thinking about getting something bigger, I think your story will make me pull the trigger

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
llama31 said:
Wowsers, that is too close.

At least she made good on her mistake, but that's small consolation.

Was it dark?
This happened at 1:00 this afternoon. It had just started to rain lightly. Road was wet. I had my Real Lite taillight, which is larger than some car taillights(!) blinking. She should have seen me. Traffic was moving 20-25mph, and I was riding at least 15mph.

I'll be ordering the DiNotte 140 Pro Series Ultra Taillight to add to my lights!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mbaha said:
WOW! glad you are OK, I have a PB super flash and have been thinking about getting something bigger, I think your story will make me pull the trigger
I'm adding the DiNotte 140 Pro Series Ultra Taillight to my lights! Next will be another, much brigher, heallight. Not sure which headlamp to get yet though .... I already have a CatEye and a Coleman 60 lumens helmet light. I also have two small taillights, which are actually very bright, small, but so bright that they will hurt your eyes!!!

I still have lots of other blinkies I got from Wal-Mart. When I get my Ortlieb panniers and Carradice bag (all on back order), I'll add those small blinkies to the bags. Think I should get the blinkie vest too .... And pedal lights, spoke lights .... reflector tape ....

·
Festina Lente'
11,508 Posts
Sorry to hear about your Surly!!! Man, Glad she stuck around and made good on the damage. HOpefully learned that cars could actually be dangerous!

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,036 Posts
Really bad news? You didn't go down, the driver was apologetic instead of trying to finish the job, your frame isn't damaged and you have a brand new wheel on the way.

I'm thinking you made out quite OK, considering the potential downsides.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
DrRoebuck said:
Really bad news? You didn't go down, the driver was apologetic instead of trying to finish the job, your frame isn't damaged and you have a brand new wheel on the way.

I'm thinking you made out quite OK, considering the potential downsides.
I'm just hoping there aren't any hidden damages to my bike or myself, that might show up later .... I really do feel that I'm ok. Luckily, the lady did hit her brakes, and just barely in time. If she had not hit her brakes when she did, I'm absolutely certain that my bike would have been completely destroyed (not fixable at all), and I would have gone down, and very possibly run over ....

·
Registered
417 Posts
vja4Him said:
I'm adding the DiNotte 140 Pro Series Ultra Taillight to my lights! Next will be another, much brigher, heallight. Not sure which headlamp to get yet though .... I already have a CatEye and a Coleman 60 lumens helmet light. I also have two small taillights, which are actually very bright, small, but so bright that they will hurt your eyes!!!

I still have lots of other blinkies I got from Wal-Mart. When I get my Ortlieb panniers and Carradice bag (all on back order), I'll add those small blinkies to the bags. Think I should get the blinkie vest too .... And pedal lights, spoke lights .... reflector tape ....
Here is what I'm running, I really like the 801 for the helment and once I put some spacers in the MTE it works well
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=467034
if you order the MTE get these for spacers
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.3461

·
hello
3,394 Posts
Sorry to hear about your accident. Glad things turned out ok.
I doubt there's any other damage to your bike since your rear wheel acts as a shock absorber when rear ended.

·
Registered
867 Posts
vja4Him said:
I'm just hoping there aren't any hidden damages to my bike or myself, that might show up later .... I really do feel that I'm ok.
I wouldn't worry to much about that, you did take it to a mechanic and he did check it over, and I am sure thoroughly since you were in an accident. Glad to hear you are alright and the driver owned up to everything.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Sorry to hear but I'm glad you are okay. I am also thankful the young lady who hit you had the decency to take responsibility for her actions. There are too few people like her today. Of course she shouldn't have hit you but I am impressed with the way she took complete, and quick responsibility. I am amazed she actually took the time to go to the shop. We need more young people like her. Of course it would help if they would drive better, but her actions after the accident has to be commended.

Glad to hear you weren't hurt.

·
I'm workin' on it....
251 Posts
Sorry to hear but I'm glad you are okay. I am also thankful the young lady who hit you had the decency to take responsibility for her actions. There are too few people like her today. Of course she shouldn't have hit you but I am impressed with the way she took complete, and quick responsibility. I am amazed she actually took the time to go to the shop. We need more young people like her. Of course it would help if they would drive better, but her actions after the accident has to be commended.
+1 She made a potentially deadly mistake, but at least she did the right thing after. Hopefully she will drive more carefully in the future.

·
Registered
39 Posts
In the center of the right lane?

I can't believe anybody hasn't questioned this yet. Do you always travel in the center of the lane or was this a rare occasion that made it unwise to stay to the right? Dinotte makes incredible headlights as well as tail lights FWIW.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Taking the Right Lane ....

jaimeS said:
I can't believe anybody hasn't questioned this yet. Do you always travel in the center of the lane or was this a rare occasion that made it unwise to stay to the right? Dinotte makes incredible headlights as well as tail lights FWIW.
Depends on the traffic situation, and what the right side of the road is like. I ride as far to the right as possible/safe. The roads in our area are very bad all over town, and many places actually have no shoulder or sidewalk, so I'm stuck with riding in the right lane.

What I've noticed that happens all the time when I ride too far to the right in the right lane, is that many cars will try to stay in the right lane, even when the lanes are narrow, and traffic is in the center lane.

I almost get clipped many times! I'm afraid that one of these days I will get clipped when a car is trying to stay in the right lane, and there just isn't enough room for the both of us.

That is just too dangerous for me ... !!! So, when the situation is in my best interest, that is when I take to the center of the right lane, for my own safety.

Recently I've even taken to the left lane, as was suggested by somebody on one of the cycling forums. I only do that when I have a clear view of traffic behind me. If I can see clearly that there are no cares in the left lane, and it would be better to move over, and let the car have the right lane, then I do that. Or when I'm turning left.

Sometimes it's actually safer for me to simply get off the road quickly and onto the sidewalk.

I've had way too many close calls, like when people back out of diagonal parking without looking, or open their car door without looking, or just pull out without looking.

I'm sure that many cyclists have seen these dangers many times. Even the bike lanes are not safe. There are so many parked cars in the bike lanes, so I have to either take to the sidewalk, or take the right lane.

I do keep a close look through my HubBub rear view mirror. Does anyone have the HubBub mirror? You should check it out:

http://www.hubbub.com/store/proddetail.asp?prod=helmir

When I see lots of traffic coming from behind, and if there is a clearing for me to move over to the right safely, I do that. I have to be very careful though, because there are many obstacles and dangers .... Like the drains all over town, often guess where? On the shoulder, or the ride side of the lane! I've already hit the drain one time. I don't want to ever do that again!!! Anyone else hit the drains on your bike?

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Too bad that happened. I don't think a traffic light on your back would have helped. If she was tailing you too close, she saw you. She was just being careless. If any frame could take a beating like that, it's a LHT. I pity the poor car. She didn't know she ran into a tank. Thankfully, it turned out alright for you.

brewster

1 - 16 of 16 Posts