Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard about this on the radio coming through Austin today. I am pasting so you don't have to go through signing up for the news website.

Cyclist dies in hit and run crash

06:12 PM CDT on Monday, April 17, 2006
KVUE News Staff reports

KVUE News
Authorities were on the scene of a deadly crash involving a cyclist Monday. One person was killed Monday after two vehicles hit a cyclist in Westlake Hills.

It happened on Highway 360 at Bee Caves Road near Lake Austin.

Texas DPS troopers said two vehicles hit the woman on the bicycle.

She died on the scene. Her identity has not been released.

Troopers said the driver of the first vehicle stopped at the scene of the accident, but the second car did not stop.

"I just saw that the young lady was thrown and I quickly turned the wheel and went off the road, and then I stopped to see what happened. And the other car that went behind me just left," said Alfonso Lopez, a witness who spoke through a translator to KVUE News.

Cyclists who ride through the area say the area can be dangerous. Highway 360 is a popular ride for cyclists because of it's wide shoulders, but the incident happened in just one of the few areas where the shoulder drops off, forcing cyclists and cars dangerously close to each other.

"You have to watch our for yourself on a bike, you just really have to watch out. You can't assume anything," said Kari Cherland, a cyclist who rides Highway 360 three or four times a week. "I don't see any option other than wearing a helmet."

Authorities are now searching for the driver that left the scene. They have not released a detailed description of the vehicle.

If you have any information, call CrimeStoppers at 472-TIPS.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
God speed.

·
Registered
554 Posts
yeah - this is making big news here. Its initiating a "Ride of Silence" here in Austin sometimes next month. Its not the only incidence on that road - its one of the main cycling roads in Austin and a lot of the major "loops" here end up on it at some point.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts