Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a flat on a new Mich Pro 4 SC. Maybe 35 miles on it. I quickly changed out the inner tube, checked that the tire was seated properly and I am back on my way. I did use a CO2 Cartridge. Not even two miles later the inner tube is sticking out the side of the side wall.

So did I miss something on my installation or is this a faulty tire? Human Finger Wrist Hand Joint

One other thing, I am on HED B+ rims. I can get the Mich Pro 4 SC on without a tire lever. I can't seem to get them off without a lever. Is there a trick I am missing?
Thanks for the help.

P.P.
Yes those are cool super hero Pajamas.

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
Tire is done.

If you can fit the tire without levers you should be able to take it off with just thumb power. Grab the rim with both hands, place your thumbs close together and push the tire off the rim.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tire is done.

If you can fit the tire without levers you should be able to take it off with just thumb power. Grab the rim with both hands, place your thumbs close together and push the tire off the rim.
Yeah, the tire went directly into the trash when I got home.

When you say push the tire tire off the rim, the tire is going to go off the back/far side of the rim? Do you push on the side opposite the valve?

thanks for the help.

·
Registered
21,636 Posts
When you say push the tire tire off the rim, the tire is going to go off the back/far side of the rim? Do you push on the side opposite the valve?
The first thing you have to do is make sure the bead of the tire is centered in the rim - push it toward the center of the rim all the way around. From there, you should be able to use thumb power to lift the bead up onto the top of the rim sidewall and then push it over the top.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
The two aren't mutually exclusive. You may have f'd up the install but I'm thinking that's a bad tire for sure.
I don't think I could do that to a tire if I tried without a knife. I definitely had my share of ham fisted installs and blew a few off the rim when I was a beginner and I've never had that happen.

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
Yeah, the tire went directly into the trash when I got home.

thanks for the help.
You want to start further away from the valve than closer; not necessarily right on the opposite end. Push with your thumbs and lift the tire-tube off and over the rim. Keep pushing until the bead furthest away from you is over the rim then peel the tire off.
After you do it a few times it will become a mindless exercise.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I got a flat on a new Mich Pro 4 SC. Maybe 35 miles on it. I quickly changed out the inner tube, checked that the tire was seated properly and I am back on my way. I did use a CO2 Cartridge. Not even two miles later the inner tube is sticking out the side of the side wall.

So did I miss something on my installation or is this a faulty tire? View attachment 318692

One other thing, I am on HED B+ rims. I can get the Mich Pro 4 SC on without a tire lever. I can't seem to get them off without a lever. Is there a trick I am missing?
Thanks for the help.

P.P.
Yes those are cool super hero Pajamas.
Probably installation error.

However, I would also check the alignment of brake pads vs rim.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I had a Michelin do that to me, installed by hand. I was riding and noticed something that looked like liquid asphalt stuck to my tire. I started to slow down to remove it and was just about stopped when there was a pop. It was not asphalt stuck to my tire by my tube sticking out. Never had that problem before and will never use Michelin again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts