Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it bad to walk in Mtn bike shoes. I may start commuting to work and the trip will require approximately 1/4 mile walk per day. Total for about 10 different sections, so no I cant change to sneakers.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I don't know if it is "bad," but you'll wear them out a lot faster. When I commute, I ride to the gym and then spend 20 - 30 minutes lifting weights (in my mtb shoes) before showering and heading down to the office. The treads are starting to show some wear after about 10 months of this, but so far it hasn't impacted the cleats at all. Of course, I'm usually walking on the padded floor they have in the weight room -- I'm sure walking on concrete would wear them down faster.

·
waterproof*
41,611 Posts
what, a quarter mile over 10 different sections? no prob.

/ every shoe will wear out eventually... when you shop for shoes, find one where the cleat is a bit recessed so it doesn't grind on the ground w every step.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
No big deal. Don't worry about it at all. Everything wears out eventually, but mtn bike shoes should last years with that kind of use.

I use mtn bike shoes with my rainy-day commuter, and they're holding up fine. On nice days I often ride my lighter-weight bike, which has Look pedals. I walk as far as you're talking about in my road shoes (with cleat covers) every day, and they're still working, too.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
Don't worry about cleat wear. Mountain bike shoes are DESIGNED to take a beating; think of all the contact with rocks and dirt they see. Considering the knobby soles of ATB shoes, the cleat is quite protected from wear, especially on street surfaces.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
If you are going to walk that much, get a set of "hike and bike" style shoes. rather than dedicated MTB shoes. Some of the ones designed for more serious riding [i.e. racing MTB shoes] aren't easy to walk in, and are more like a road shoe with a few rubber tabs added. Cannondale has some that are very similar to a hiking shoe but with SPD mounting holes, these would be ideal for your use.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I bought the low end Specialized MTM bike shoes ($90.00), LBS.. The are confy and they do have a recessed cleat. But only about an 1/8 of an inch. Yes pretty good to walk in...Ok I just dont want to have to buy new shoes every few months. I knew that I wanted to do some walking so this works well.. I also have double sided pedals which work well in the city. I think its a good combo. i got the suggestion for you guys!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.