Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems to me that most of the pro-cycling (especially commuting) cities are in northern/bad-weather locations (Portland, Boulder, Minneapolis, Madison, Chicago... ) and that the areas where cycling is easy year-'round do very little to promote it use. Just my peception because that's where I live? An example:

http://www.startribune.com/local/19033144.html?location_refer=Homepage

TF

· Call me a Fred
17,025 Posts
San Diego is very pro cycling.

· Registered
197 Posts
Dude, Boulder has sweet weather! Its sunny like 300 days a year and can regularly be in the 40-50's in January. There are a few days that suck (10 degress or so) but.....

ummmm.....errrggh I mean, yeah Boulder definately sucks the weather is terrible, stay out of colorado and take a texan or californian with you.

· Call me a Fred
17,025 Posts
TurboTurtle said:
For commuters? Bike paths and lanes? Parking garages with showers? - TF
Lots of bike lanes. Quite a few bike trails that can be used for commuting. I showered at work. I could cycle in downdown San Diego without worrying. I'd say that San Diego is as bike friendly as Boulder.

· Downhill Juggernaut
1,673 Posts
Hippienflipflops said:
Dude, Boulder has sweet weather! Its sunny like 300 days a year and can regularly be in the 40-50's in January. There are a few days that suck (10 degress or so) but.....

ummmm.....errrggh I mean, yeah Boulder definately sucks the weather is terrible, stay out of colorado and take a texan or californian with you.
Hey!

What makes you think we want those Texans back?

Deportation doesn't really work if they find their way back.

· NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hippienflipflops said:

It can be in the 70s in Chicago in Feb, doesn't make it a 'good weather' city. - TF

· Registered
2,403 Posts
Looking for a correlation?

It's not the weather, as usual it's all about the money. No public money equal no public infastructure. Here's the tax burden by state (I goggled it here: http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Taxes/Advice/TheBestAndWorstStatesForTaxes.aspx?page=2)
Connecticut 1
New York 2
New Jersey 3
Nevada 4
Vermont 5
Rhode Island 6
Massachusetts 7
California 8
Washington 9
Maine 10
Minnesota 11
Florida 12
Wisconsin 13
Illinois 14
Maryland 15
Hawaii 16
Virginia 17
Ohio 18
Wyoming 19
Pennsylvania 20
Michigan 21
Nebraska 22
Colorado 23
N. Carolina 24
Arizona 25
Delaware 26
Kansas 27
Georgia 28
New Hampshire 29
Indiana 30
Oregon 31
Arkansas 32
Iowa 33
Kentucky 34
S. Carolina 35
Utah 36
N. Dakota 37
Missouri 38
Montana 39
West Virginia 40
Texas 41
Idaho 42
S. Dakota 43
Louisiana 44
New Mexico 45
Tennessee 46
Mississippi 47
Alaska 48
Alabama 49
Oklahoma 50

Cold climate states roughly at the top, warm climate states roughly in bottom.

I remember doing a battlefield tour in Mississippi with another Minnesotan in a car a few years back. We were out on the county roads looking for the sites. I remember commenting that shouldn't the Minnesota roads be in worst shape, we get freeze/thaw and chemically treat the surface to beat the band, yet our roads seem in better shape. Why? Because we spend money on them.

We've got more miles of paved bike trail than anyone else in the country, which is one reason we're at number 11 above.

· Registered
369 Posts
Scott, I can't argue with the general premise, but the numbers you used seem incomlete. I looked at the info compiled. It includes sales, gas, cig and beer. I don't see property or income taxes shown.

I don't disagree with your point, just think complete numbers might be more usefull.

· Registered
2,403 Posts
Vettekid said:
Scott, I can't argue with the general premise, but the numbers you used seem incomlete. I looked at the info compiled. It includes sales, gas, cig and beer. I don't see property or income taxes shown.

I don't disagree with your point, just think complete numbers might be more usefull.
I just goggled this it's not a source I'm deeply invested in, but are not the two right side columns State and Federal income tax numbers. Property taxes are not included that I can tell.

Scot

· Registered
2,403 Posts
Art853 said:
There is the issue of comparing cycling cities and state taxes/funding. Austin has relatively good cycling infrastructure.
To TT's original point, with good cycling infrastructure AND favorable year round weather, why doesn't Austin make this list:

City / Percentage
Portland / 3.5
Minneapolis / 2.4
Seattle / 2.3
Tucson / 2.2
San Francisco / 1.8
Sacramento / 1.8
Washington DC / 1.7
Oakland / 1.5
Honolulu / 1.4
Denver / 1.4

· NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Scot_Gore said:
To TT original point, with and good cycling infastructure AND favorable year round weather, why dosn't Austin make this list:

City / Percentage
Portland / 3.5
Minneapolis / 2.4
Seattle / 2.3
Tucson / 2.2
San Francisco / 1.8
Sacramento / 1.8
Washington DC / 1.7
Oakland / 1.5
Honolulu / 1.4
Denver / 1.4
What is this? Percentage of what? - TF

· No Crybabies
11,692 Posts
definitions of bad weather

I think everyone's definition of "bad weather" varies. I would go nuts in Portland, OR, with all the gloomy wetness, but people I know there say they like it, and would die in the central California heat. I love the heat, even 100+ degrees. I also hate the chilling, moist coastline, even like Santa Barbara. San Diego I might tolerate, but even that is too cool for me.

Fresno has incredibly bike friendly infrastructure. Wide bike lanes everywhere, even 25 miles out into the rural areas. I ride 13 miles to work, and can be in a bike lane over 90% of the way. The culture here is not especially bike friendly, just average, I'd say, but the roads are wonderful.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.