Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Bad Wrist and Neck pain

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  SimonChik 
#1 ·
I did construction a few months ago, and I took a really bad swing with a sledge hammer and messed up my right wrist. It healed and then about a month ago my wrist pain came back after a scramble for a basketball. Now every time I ride for a long period of time my wrist starts to hurt. My left wrist is perfectly fine, just the right one is bothersome. Any tips for this poor wrist of mine?

Also my neck has some pain but I think I can solve it if I throw on some contact lenses and then I wont have to pull my head all the way back to see the road. Any of you guys wear glasses out there? What's the best solution for us 4-eyed guys?

Discussion starter · #4 ·
JCavilia said:
Did you ever get the wrist checked out? There are a lot of bones in there. Maybe you have a little fracture someplace. Ot maybe it's a sprain or strain. If you don't want to see a doctor and have it checked, maybe wear some kind of a brace while riding for a while.

I've worn glasses for my nearsightedness for almost 50 years. They don't cause any special problems on the bike. You might try a different frame design with lenses that sit higher, so you can look out the top of the lenses without tilting the head so much. But I suspect you just need to get accustomed to the riding position, and the glasses really aren't the problem. You might need to have your bars higher, at least until you adapt some more.

My seat is higher than my bars, but I do need a new stem. 120mm is too long for me. Only on long rides my neck gets uncomfortable, my wrist on the other hand is an on going pain.

Discussion starter · #7 ·
It's been about a month an a half. Since I got in to road biking. My first day of riding, Did a sad little 10 miles and I was tired. Yesterday I did 40 miles with traffic up the ying yang for 20 miles and 20 miles of pure bike path and my butt hurt less than it did the first time, My legs were I say from a 1-10, a 5 in how tired it was. I love it. I can't wait to get on better roads and go for longer rides.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.