Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Overequipped, underlegged
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
lately i've taken a liking towards going for relatively short rides (20-25 miles) through the city center. Its a great way to run errands and I just think its REALLY fun.
Now, the trouble is that i'm not that comfortable stepping into a shop or getting a cup of coffee with my full tight lycra kit, and i was thinking about getting a pair of baggy shorts (with chamois, of course) to use when i go riding downtown.
What are the pros and cons of these?
Will they be uncomfortable? i'm really comfy in my race-cut kits.
any input is appreciated.
cheers!

·
Banned
7,191 Posts
Kaboom said:
lately i've taken a liking towards going for relatively short rides (20-25 miles) through the city center. Its a great way to run errands and I just think its REALLY fun.
Now, the trouble is that i'm not that comfortable stepping into a shop or getting a cup of coffee with my full tight lycra kit, and i was thinking about getting a pair of baggy shorts (with chamois, of course) to use when i go riding downtown.
What are the pros and cons of these?
Will they be uncomfortable? i'm really comfy in my race-cut kits.
any input is appreciated.
cheers!
It would be easier, cheaper and more comfortable to just wear a pair of regular shorts over yer bike shorts.

Or, you could get a pair of running shorts and just tuck them in yer jersey pocket until you need them.

Or just get over yer shyness. Ain't nobody looking anyway...

·
Slightly Opinionated
10,402 Posts
buck-50 said:
Ain't nobody looking anyway...
What about the 52 year old cougars and the gay gentlemen on the corner?

That being said, I'd not do the baggy's on the road bike. If you need to carry something home, hoawbout a musette/messenger bag?

·
Home Brew User!
2,812 Posts
I have mtb baggies and also ride with regular shorts over cycling shorts quit often.

No disadvantage as far as I can tell. On occasion an ARB will look down their nose at you but F Um.

Our silly roadie costumes are a pet peeve of mine, so I'm glad to see you considering coming around from the dark side.

·
Registered
606 Posts
The only thing I don't like about the baggies that I wear is that I can't machine-wash them. I tried, and wound up w/ a chamois that tore off the outer part.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I commute every day in MTB shorts - I like the pockets and prefer these as I enter/exit the office building every day. I have been using the low end Novara shorts with chamois for more than a year now and they work great.

·
Overequipped, underlegged
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
actually 23-24 is about as far as i can go in the city. It might not seem like a lot when compared to the 30 milers a lot of people on this forum do every day, but when those 20 miles are spent dodging taxicabs, avoiding the police, stopping-starting at red lights and stuff i get home just about as tired as when i do a whole lot more miles on a smooth, straight road or bike lane.

so far the idea i like best is that of the shorts in the jersey pocket... but thanks a lot for the answers and keep them coming!

·
Registered
162 Posts
I tried the oakley shorts a few years ago. I was a fan. Chamois was a bit thick, felt like a maxi pad, but whatev. The shorts were baggy without being too baggy, and had a lot of zippers to let the air in closer to the lycra, made for great ventilation.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.