Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
UGASkiDawg said:
Actually I think they should give Bahati an award for not walking out on the course with a 2x4 and whacking Keough right off his bike and proceeding to smash his face in and making sure he never rides a bike again.
Good thing your not in charge of anything then cause that's a pretty stupid system you have there.

·
Registered
198 Posts
there has to be other ways to punish or hinder a guy from trying to get a free ride with another teams lead-out train............that could have ended much worse for many, I'm sure the guy that ate the curb is real impressed with their little pissing contest.....idiots, they both should be parked......no matter what excuse they offer.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
I think the whole problem started with Bahati trying to "win one for the Gipper". That negatively influenced his behavior in the race.

Which is not to excuse the blatant and dangerous behavior from both parties.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Creakyknees said:
ok, knocking down another rider is bad, mmkay?
I need to remember to watch this video at home (because I'm blocked at work), but from that still shot I wouldn't assume that Keough caused the crash.

Judging from Keough's angle, it's clear that either he's pushing back against something that a moment earlier had taken him way off balance or he simply has a death wish. Now... who is trying to break into whose train?

Again, I'll remember to watch the video one of these days, but that still isn't convincing at all. I'd say just the opposite.

·
waterproof*
41,616 Posts
JohnStonebarger said:
I need to remember to watch this video at home (because I'm blocked at work), but from that still shot I wouldn't assume that Keough caused the crash.

Judging from Keough's angle, it's clear that either he's pushing back against something that a moment earlier had taken him way off balance or he simply has a death wish. Now... who is trying to break into whose train?

Again, I'll remember to watch the video one of these days, but that still isn't convincing at all. I'd say just the opposite.
uhhh, why write the post if you haven't seen the video?

·
Registered
296 Posts
JohnStonebarger said:

You really need to watch the video.

·
Rider
22 Posts
Testimony

I think this is a pretty good description of what happened...

“Bahati was fighting big time,” Van Uden said. “I think he expected everyone to just give him the win for free because of what had happened with his teammate. But everyone’s still there to win the race, and no one was going to back down. Then he egged on a fight with one of the United Health guys, and it ended pretty bad for a lot of guys, including myself; ruined his own race as well.”
Via: Oregon Cycling Action

Seriously though this is like in most sports. Jake just needed to prove he's not one to be pushed around. Bahati will respect his lead out train now.

·
Booo-yaaawwwww!!!!!!!!!!!
549 Posts
madfastride said:
Jake just needed to prove he's not one to be pushed around. Bahati will respect his lead out train now.
Ahhhhhh. By deliberately taking out a rider and making half the field crash. Rule by fear is what you're saying. Mess with the bulls, get the horns so to speak. So, Line Backers should just kick Quarterbacks in the knees to prove they should be taken seriously. Pitchers should just smash the first pitch into the batters face to strike a little respect and fear into their hearts. "Terroristic Sportsmanship", great way to make a point with an opponent. I really think you're on to something there.

·
chamois creme addict
1,479 Posts
CabDoctor said:
Ahhhhhh. By deliberately taking out a rider and making half the field crash. Rule by fear is what you're saying. Mess with the bulls, get the horns so to speak. So, Line Backers should just kick Quarterbacks in the knees to prove they should be taken seriously. Pitchers should just smash the first pitch into the batters face to strike a little respect and fear into their hearts. "Terroristic Sportsmanship", great way to make a point with an opponent. I really think you're on to something there.
No, you are taking this the wrong way. Bahati was the aggressor initially, and Keough eventually had to stand his ground. Jake Keough is a young guy, 2nd year pro and I am sure Rashaan thought he could intimidate him off the wheel. There is way more to this story than any of the video clips have managed to show. Quotes from guys like Borrajo, Ken Hanso and Roman Van Uden who all saw the action unfold put Bahati in the wrong here.

·
549 Posts
Eric_H said:
No, you are taking this the wrong way. Bahati was the aggressor initially, and Keough eventually had to stand his ground. Jake Keough is a young guy, 2nd year pro and I am sure Rashaan thought he could intimidate him off the wheel. There is way more to this story than any of the video clips have managed to show. Quotes from guys like Borrajo, Ken Hanso and Roman Van Uden who all saw the action unfold put Bahati in the wrong here.
I agree Bahati was the initial aggressor. But look at it this way, up until Keough swerved, no one crashed. Now, there were several options both riders had before them. They should have pursued it with the officials and had Bahati DQ'd (It wouldn't be the first time) But, now here's where I have a problem, Keough picked a course of action where, in the very best case scenario, would leave one rider on the ground bleeding. Under no circumstances should that course of action ever be taken. It doesn't matter what his reasons were. He went beyond self defense, beyond defense of the team objectives, and even went beyond reasonable offense. He swerved to make a rider crash. And that's what I have a problem with.

PS Nice defense and sound argument Eric, I like that!:thumbsup:

·
chamois creme addict
1,479 Posts
Yeah, I just watched the clip over and over again and I do agree that despite what went on before the crash, Keough obviously chose an action here that was avoidable. I am sure after being leaned on and hacked by Bahati multiple times he simply overheated and lost his head but the final outcome was not ideal. But the term "terroristic sportsmanship" could be applied to Bahati as well.

In the end, this whole incident is so non-pro we should probably move the thread out of "Pro Cycling" :)

·
549 Posts
Eric_H said:
But the term "terroristic sportsmanship" could be applied to Bahati as well.
That's a copyrighted term, my lawyers will be in contact with. Hopefully we can settle this out of court.

No, I agree thats what "actually" happened. My response with "Terroristic Sportsmanship" was in response to

madfastride said:
Jake just needed to prove he's not one to be pushed around. Bahati will respect his lead out train now.
Because that attitude is simply stupid and senseless in any sport. Trying to prove something is different than overacting. I honestly think Keough was overreacting. Using a term like "just needed to prove" implies that the rider evaluated the options and choose an extreme in order to make a point. Realistically I don't think either of them considered other options. BUT, if Keough had the type of attitude madfastride hinted at, a "Yeah I made you crash, learn your lesson, respect my train or I'll make you crash again," then I think he deserves a serious ban.

I think the one that really need to apologize is Fraser, when I first met him I thought he was a d-bag, then I he started earning my respect, now he's back to being a d-bag. Not like he really cares what I think though.....:rolleyes:

21 - 36 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.