Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our little one is 20months old and I already got him a balance. Of course he's still a bit too short to reach the ground bust mostly the bike is a bit too heavy for him to handle so that's what drives him crazy mostly. The bike is an alu Specialized Hotwalk. Either way..when it's the best way to have him give it a proper confidence/test ride time ?

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
I think you're gonna know when the time is right. I just got a Strider for my grandson's first birthday even though it will be a while before he can use it. I did it mostly to help prevent some well-meaning person getting him a bike with (cough-cough) "training wheels".

·
Banned
7,744 Posts
My grand kids started before they were three and graduated to a regular bikes before their fourth birthday.

You are on the right path--just make sure that they never get a bike with training wheels as it will set them back a couple of years.

Also, when they go to regular bikes get a higher end kids bike that weighs less than 21 lbs. You can do that for around $500.
Our little one is 20months old and I already got him a balance. Of course he's still a bit too short to reach the ground bust mostly the bike is a bit too heavy for him to handle so that's what drives him crazy mostly. The bike is an alu Specialized Hotwalk. Either way..when it's the best way to have him give it a proper confidence/test ride time ?

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
In my family, the biking thing evidently skips a generation. Got my son a bike with training wheels and he pretty much ignored it until his Cub Scout pack was going to do a family bike ride. He got real interested in learning how to ride the thing w/o training wheels (oh, the embarrassment). He still has little interest in bikes. When I was a kid, that's how we got around. To me, a bike was freedom. These days, kids get driven to wherever they want to go. I hear some don't even care about getting a driver's license when they turn 16. Back in the Stone Age, that's what you did on your 16-th birthday.

20 months seems a tad young. Have another one soon to make life more exciting.

·
Registered
21,635 Posts
Kids vary widely in readiness so it is impossible to say when is right for your kid. But whether it is a normal bike with the pedals removed or you spend the extra $$ for a balance bike, the kid obviously has to fit, which means feet pretty much flat on the ground and easy reach to the bars.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
20 months seems a tad young. Have another one soon to make life more exciting.
I'm turning 44 tomorrow and so will wife in 2 months,I guess we're late to the party :(. Sardinia,the region of Italy where we live holds the italian record for later in life pregnancies,I guess we've sticked to it...:mad2:

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
I'm turning 44 tomorrow and so will wife in 2 months,I guess we're late to the party :(. Sardinia,the region of Italy where we live holds the italian record for later in life pregnancies,I guess we've sticked to it...:mad2:
I got married at the young age of 26. Got divorced three years later. Second marriage didn't happen until I was 38. We had our first kid when I was 40 (my wife is 4 years younger than me). A week after the birth my wife developed a deep vein thrombosis (blood clot) in her leg that damn near killed her. We had the second kid 27 months later.

There's pluses and minuses about being an older father. You're more mature, more patient and more wealthy. But you have less energy and have to wait to retire until they get through college. And there's that stupid woman at the grocery store who asked me how old my grand son was. At least here in the DC area where couples tend to wait to have kids, I'm not a total oddity.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,404 Posts
Just for my own information, why do people here think training wheels are the kiss of death? That's how we learned to ride when I was a toddler.

·
Pack Fodder.
1,871 Posts
Early Rider Road Runner:
Bicycle wheel Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle part
My son's first bike at age 3. Extremely well-made, lightweight, and drop bar... because, roadie.

A friend's kid tore up the kick bike 'cross races on one. My son rides his around the house at the moment, but he'll be out on the road soon.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I got my son a balance bike when he was 2.5 around October. He did not touch it. I think it scared him a little. Once spring came around he started on it, totally on his own. I think the 2nd maybe 3rd ride and he was flying down the driveway. no fear.

He is 5 now. Loves to ride. It did take a little while to get him to use the coaster break. He kept on putting his feet down to stop.

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
Just for my own information, why do people here think training wheels are the kiss of death? That's how we learned to ride when I was a toddler.
Oh come ON Lom. Just because that's how you learned to steer and pedal (the easiest two components of riding) doesn't make it the best. The hardest thing by far is to learn to balance and steer by weight shifting and that is hindered, not helped at all, by "training" wheels. These things turn a bicycle into a tricycle and riding a bike and a trike are worlds apart. We STEER tricycles, we weight shift bicycles.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,404 Posts
Oh come ON Lom. Just because that's how you learned to steer and pedal (the easiest two components of riding) doesn't make it the best. The hardest thing by far is to learn to balance and steer by weight shifting and that is hindered, not helped at all, by "training" wheels. These things turn a bicycle into a tricycle and riding a bike and a trike are worlds apart. We STEER tricycles, we weight shift bicycles.
I see your point Mike, but somehow I learned to balance on a bike anyway even though I was so disadvantaged with my trike and then bike with training wheels.

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
I see your point Mike, but somehow I learned to balance on a bike anyway even though I was so disadvantaged with my trike and then bike with training wheels.
I probably did too. But there is now a much more modern, faster way to get a kid balancing and steering with body shift than to be held back by leaning on a 3rd wheel. The "training wheel" people are stuck in the last century.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Both my boys started on a balance bike around 18 months. We never pushed it and both got gradually more comfortable at their own pace. By 2.5 years old both were lifting their legs and coasting down hills and off the speed generated by kicking. Shortly after each of their 3rd birthdays I offered to let them try a big boy bike and both struggled with how to pedal at first but I walked around supporting them while they learned the mechanics and by the end of the day they were off on their own crusing up and down the street. I swear by the balance bikes!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 33 Posts