Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
i don't know
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Balti-moreons

Can I get some restaurant recommendations in Baltimore? My gf and i are visiting this weekend and looking for some tasty dining options....

TIA!

·
Non non normal
10,086 Posts
Are you staying near the Inner Harbor or somewhere in suburbia?

·
i don't know
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bigrider said:
Are you staying near the Inner Harbor or somewhere in suburbia?
Inner Harbor...

·
Non non normal
10,086 Posts
Sabatinos in Little Italy. It is a long but nice walk by the Aquarium and over to Little Italy

·
i don't know
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bigrider said:
Sabatinos in Little Italy. It is a long but nice walk by the Aquarium and over to Little Italy
Sweet. Appreciate the suggestion. How about the best seafood options?

·
Non non normal
10,086 Posts
Flynn said:
Bo Brooks is fairly close but I can't vouch for the food. Seafood comes in two varieties. Crab Shacks that are usually low frills, seasonal, steamed crabs and beer places and the second variety is the upscale seafood places like Legal Seafood. It is off season for steamed crabs so if they have them they are getting shipped in from somewhere else. That is not really a bad thing since they gotta be live to steam them but the prices are usually pretty high.

·
Non non normal
10,086 Posts
Flynn said:
Bo Brooks is fairly close but I can't vouch for the food. Seafood comes in two varieties. Crab Shacks that are usually low frills, seasonal, steamed crabs and beer places and the second variety is the upscale seafood places like Legal Seafood. It is off season for steamed crabs so if they have them they are getting shipped in from somewhere else. That is not really a bad thing since they gotta be live to steam them but the prices are usually pretty high.

·
Duc9
13 Posts
I would suggest you don't eat in the inner harbor. Little Italy isn't bad, and there are several good places if you head a little further north to Canton (or Fells) or south to Federal Hill. I would suggest:

Helen's Garden (Canton)
Mama's on the Half Shell (Canton)
The Bicycle (Federal Hill)
Kali's Court (Fells Point)

·
Duc9
13 Posts
Duc9 said:
I would suggest you don't eat in the inner harbor. Little Italy isn't bad, and there are several good places if you head a little further north to Canton (or Fells) or south to Federal Hill. I would suggest:

Helen's Garden (Canton)
Mama's on the Half Shell (Canton)
The Bicycle (Federal Hill)
Kali's Court (Fells Point)
These are all within walking distance for someone who rides. But, if you've never had crabs...

·
Non non normal
10,086 Posts
Nothing is more pitiful than watching people who have never had crabs AND don't have an instructor. :)

·
i don't know
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
MarkS said:
Will you have a car with you? Or, are you walking?
We will have a car....

Great suggestions so far....can't thank you all enough!

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
Duc9 said:
These are all within walking distance for someone who rides. But, if you've never had crabs...

All of Duc9's recommendations are good. If you want steamed crabs, Bo Brooks is a safe bet (there are more authentic, neighborhood places, but I'm not sure that any of them would have crabs out of season -- Bo Brooks always has them). Bo Brooks also is in Canton.

The one thing I would recommend highly, if you are going to Canton or Fells Point, drive rather than walk. The distance is not that great -- 2 miles to Fells Point and 3 miles to Canton. But, there are some less than safe neighborhoods between Downtown and Fells Point and Canton. Also, Fells Point and Canton are east of Downtown, not north of it.

If you want to walk, the area just south of the Inner Harbor (Federal Hill) has lots of restaurants. I am not current on which one are good, but you would have lots of choices. Also, if you want to walk due north of the Inner Harbor on Charles Street, there are some good restaurants in the vicinity of the Washington Monument (about 8-10 blocks north of the Inner Harbor). One of my favorites is The Helmand, an Afghan restaurant. If you are in the vicinity of the Washington Monument during the day (the Walters Art Museum is near there and worthwhile to visit), there is a very small Thai carryout (Thairish) with three tables next to the Helmand that I also recommend. About 8 blocks further north on Charles Street (just north of the train station -- you would have to drive from the Inner Harbor) is a tapas bar that I like, Tapas Teatro.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts