Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was in the area today so figured I'd check out the BA Trail. The BAT is a 15 mile long rail trail that runs from Glen Burnie, MD to the outskirts of Annapolis, MD. At the north end it connects via spur to the BWI Trail -- a 12 mile loop around the BWI airport. It was a beautiful day but I could have done without the 15mph wind.

I parked at Observation Park which sits at the end of one of the main runways at BWI. Many people come to watch the planes takeoff and land. From there, I headed down the connecting spur to the BAT. The north end of the trail features a lot of at grade road crossings as you run through Glen Burnie.

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
There are fewer road crossings once you clear Glen Burnie. At this point, the BAT is typical of pretty much every other rail-trail I've ridden on. It's fairly narrow but it's also fairly straight. Occasionally, you'll see signs of the old Baltimore-Annapolis rail line.

I've been seeing a lot of turtles on my rides lately. I got a kick out of the ******* shed.

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After giving the bike a rest, I headed back towards the car. The wind, for the rest of the ride, was dead in my face. I was hurting by the time I got to the car. I think my average speed for the ride was 15mph. :eek:

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
kai-ming said:
I feel great to see a nice post early in the morning here especially the bamboo found in your country.
Thanks! The bamboo was quite abundant, to my surprise. I've never seen that much in "the wild" in any one spot before. It was a veritable bamboo forest in one section with some reaching 15m or more in height. Very pretty. I was waiting for Ziyi Zhang to jump out. I wanted to take a few more shots but the lighting was horrible.

·
Travels by Map
3,060 Posts
kai-ming said:
I feel great to see a nice post early in the morning here especially the bamboo found in your country.
I have a lot of bamboo in my yard. I need to put a barrier in the ground because I am tired of cutting it down as it spreads.

·
Non non normal
10,098 Posts
There were some nice shot in there Ken.

I have ridden that MUT from Annapolis to Marley Station on a round trip ride.

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
Great Pictures Ken.
I am planning on riding that some this spring as my new job is near the BWI loop. I am hoping I can swing down in the afternoon's and get some miles in before everyone else gets off work. I rode it once last year (the BWI loop) and had to bunny hop a snake.
As for the Bamboo, while it looks nice it is an aggressive invasive plant that kills of all of the native plants as it spreads. For years people planted it as a quick growing "fence" or hedge and it is very hard to control.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Ken....

great pictures...I've wondered about that trail every time I drive out of BWI on a Fri afternoon.

You & Zeytin & Big Rider need to come on over to the eastern shore some Saturday for some non-stop, low traffic, flat great riding.

len

·
Non non normal
10,098 Posts
I would love to wander over there some lovely summer day and ride the roads with you. Maybe I can ride from my house and camp at the state park in Delaware and then ride with you all on Saturday.

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
bigrider said:
I would love to wander over there some lovely summer day and ride the roads with you. Maybe I can ride from my house and camp at the state park in Delaware and then ride with you all on Saturday.
That sounds great. I am hoping to get in decent enough shape this spring to do some riding with others. Lately my rides have mostly been solo, except for some city jaunts with Arby, his girl, and MarkS.
Maybe we can hook up something when the weather breaks where a couple of us come out camp and then ride in the AM.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Sounds good.......

zeytin said:
That sounds great. I am hoping to get in decent enough shape this spring to do some riding with others. Lately my rides have mostly been solo, except for some city jaunts with Arby, his girl, and MarkS.
Maybe we can hook up something when the weather breaks where a couple of us come out camp and then ride in the AM.
PM me if you want a guide.

Len

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Len J said:
great pictures...I've wondered about that trail every time I drive out of BWI on a Fri afternoon.

You & Zeytin & Big Rider need to come on over to the eastern shore some Saturday for some non-stop, low traffic, flat great riding.

len
I'd love to! I've never been to the eastern shore and have been itching to get over that way. Flat is good. I need to get my butt in shape.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
KenB said:
I'd love to! I've never been to the eastern shore and have been itching to get over that way. Flat is good. I need to get my butt in shape.
PM me anytime....If I'm home we can set something up. I'm only home on the weekend.

Len

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Lol.....

zeytin said:
That would kinda be the point;)
Thanks for clearing that up. :D :D :D

Len

1 - 17 of 17 Posts