Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What bands did you see in small venues before they became so huge they could only play stadiums?

Red Hot Chili Peppers--saw them probably 10 times in very small clubs in the mid-80s, usually with Fishbone and Thelonious Monster. Last time I saw them live was shortly after Hillel died and they had some young kid with a pink Ibanez named John Frusciante.

Nirvana--saw them in SF after they released Bleach (with Tad and Dickless). I really loved their sound but they were pretty boring on stage. Tad put on the best show.

·
Banned
7,071 Posts
Henry Chinaski said:
What bands did you see in small venues before they became so huge they could only play stadiums?

Red Hot Chili Peppers--saw them probably 10 times in very small clubs in the mid-80s, usually with Fishbone and Thelonious Monster. Last time I saw them live was shortly after Hillel died and they had some young kid with a pink Ibanez named John Frusciante.

Nirvana--saw them in SF after they released Bleach (with Tad and Dickless). I really loved their sound but they were pretty boring on stage. Tad put on the best show.
Saw pearl Jam open for the red hot chili peppers. They got boo'ed.

·
"El Bwana"
4,399 Posts
Springsteen. Thorogood. Joe Jackson.

Springsteen was pretty well known on the East Coast and was having success, so I'm not sure it fits your exact criteria.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
buck-50 said:
that is awesome. LOL!

A friend of mine was in some band I can't even remember the name of and had Beck open for them once.

Oh, and that reminds me of an other story. My friend went to see Victims Family and Green Day opened and got boo'ed

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
I saw Dropkick Murphys with the original lineup. That was awesome.

joe

·
Just Plain Bitter
8,602 Posts
The Go-Go's
Joan Jett
Blue Oyster Cult
Van Halen (in a garage in San Bernadino)

I grew up in Beverly hills so I had access to the Troubador, Roxy, Rainbow, Starwood and the Whiskey all through the 70's and 80's. There were others but the few brain cells I have left are focusing on work at the moment and I can't divert the power.

·
No Crybabies
11,684 Posts
Green Day

Saw Green Day around 1989. It was a smallish memorial hall in Kansas City. Learned there what a mosh pit was. There were no chairs in the hall. Everyone just stood around or danced. Weird.

·
Climbs like a sprinter...
6,976 Posts
AC/DC with Bon Scott on the Powerage tour.
Metallica on the Ride the Lightning tour.
Megadeth on the Killing is My Business... tour.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Saw Great White at a small club in St. Louis, supporting "Once Bitten" before the album went mainstream.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
buck-50 said:
Did that happen to be at Walter Brown arena in Boston? That's what happened when I saw that combo there too. Smashing Pumpkins was also on the bill.

Jane's Addiction at some small bar before they were known.
Mighty Mighty Bosstones more times than I can count. They were regulars at a bar down the street from my old apt.
Pixies. They opened for my friend's band (who never went anywhere) and they sucked. I like them when they started putting out cd's but man they were pretty bad back then.

·
E Plurbus Elvis
1,055 Posts
Saw Jane's Addiction open for Love & Rockets.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
Metallica, open for either Ozzy or Aerosmith, can't remember which. Could have seen them in bar also but I wasn't 21 yet.

Phish multiple times back when they played gymnasiums and small theators.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
The Grateful Dead, in Golden Gate Park in 1967. Jefferson Airplane played, too.

Taj Mahal at a festival in San Jose about 1966.

·
Power Napper
2,853 Posts
Don't know that he would count as a mega star but I saw Robert Cray in a small club in Boulder CO about 1983. The place was only about half full.

Natalie Merchant grew up in the next town over from my hometown. 10,000 Maniacs played in several of the local bars.

·
off the back
15,392 Posts
REM. Played the gym at my college.

Can't really think of anyone else. Most of my favorites never really went on to overwhelming success, and the few that did, I never got a chance to see before they did, thanks to living in the sticks.

Seen a bunch of mid-level acts in small clubs. Also seen a bunch of big names in arenas, which aren't huge stadiums, but to me means they've already gotten big.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Stevie Ray Vaughan in 1983 at the Prom Center in St. Paul, MN (old ballroom joint that's since been torn down). This was the summer that his first album "Texas Flood" was released. He came out way late, but put on one of the best live shows I've ever seen. Pretty cool to see him from only 10 feet away.

·
Done
4,509 Posts
Cheap Trick - right before they went to Japan and recorded their 'Live at Budokan" album. They opened for...um....Blue Oyster Cult (I think).

What a great show. It was the first time that I had ever heard them, and they blew me away. Rick Nielsen was utterly manic.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts