Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
journeymonk
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the interest of being informative, how about we share what particular handlebar brands and models work best for the current most popular brake/ shift levers (i.e. Shimano 9spd, Shimano 10spd, and Campagnolo Ergo)? Pics and comments about comfort, reach, ideal angle and lever positioning, etc. would also be welcome. That way we get to help each other with one of the critical comfort choices on our bikes. What do you think, guys? :)

No pic yet, but I'm building a Shimano 9spd bike and am using the Ritchey Biomax Pro (old model still 26.8). Trick is not to use the old "align the tips of your brakes with the bottom of the bar" trick, since the bar is shallow drop. You have to raise it to get a good angle from the beginning of the drop (just after the bend of the flats) and get a smooth transition to the hoods, then preferably raise the angle of the bar by around 10 to 20 degrees. the initial drop and top of the hoods must be a little below 90 degrees (horizontal). This seems to be the most comfortable setup.

Hope this helps, and I hope this thread grows so that we can help each other out. :)

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
I'm kinda fussy about bars. Cinelli's are all right. I tried some TTT's but even the deep drops were too small for my size 11 hands. My faves are the Modolo 8 bend in 44's. Very comfy.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Deda Newton 31.8 Deep drop (non-anatomic) on every bike and two extra pairs in the plastic just in case.

·
journeymonk
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! :)

What levers are you using with these bars? Any pics?

What about the others out there?

How about we state it this way:

What is the best bar you can recommend for Shimano STI 9spd? for Shimano STI 10spd? For Campagnolo Ergopower levers?

Keep 'em coming!

:)

·
Registered
21,525 Posts
Standard setups

I have TTT Less bars (26.0) and my wife has ITM Mantis (31.8). Both have Campy Ergo levers, and are best set up (IMO) with the tips of the levers even with the bottom of the straight sections of the drops. IOW, the standard procedure for as long as I can remember.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
My Modolos are used with Campy Chorus levers, set up like Kerry's.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts