Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· $4000 bike - two bit legs
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm gettin' serious about the idea of building up a TT bike for well...TT's and duathlons.

I would strip most of my campy veloce components from my #2 bike to do the job. Here's the question: Will shimano bar end shifters work with campy components?? Campy bar end shifters are about twice the cost of Shimano's. They both are index shifting, 9sd (for me) and work the same way....I can't imagine they wouldn't be compatible.

If they aren't compatible, I will probably...and this is hard for me to write....buy all shimano components for my TT bike.

Thanks in advance.

· Rollin' Stones
2,641 Posts
I don't think so..

There was a thread about this a couple of weeks ago. They are not mix and matchable. It has to do with the way the cable fits in the shifter? You may have to search a bit, somebody HAS to have a good explanation to this quandry. Where the hell is Kerry Irons when I need him!?!?! :)

· Professional Lurker
242 Posts
Unfortunately, indexed shifting is not compatible between Shimano and Campagnolo. The cassette spacing for any particular number of cogs per cassette is different (Shimano is something like 4.35mm, Campy is 4.55mm for 9-speed).

Every index point on the shifters will either pull too far or too little, placing the chain not-dead center on the cogs. Shifting will work for two or three cogs, but as the spacing differential adds up, you start getting serious problems. (i.e. after shifting 5 cogs, you are a full mm off)

If you were using friction shifters, it would obviously be compatible. But not indexed.

· Registered
604 Posts
The above posters make valid points.

If you use a Shimano rear deralleur, any modern 9 or 10 speed unit, and a pair of Shimano 9 speed bar end shifters, you will be able to use either a Shimano or a Campag 9 speed cassette and which ever chain you wish to use. My experience is that a SRAM chain will work the best with missmatched drivetrain.

8 and 10 speed drivetrains are not compatible, and mixing deralleurs and shifters of different brands doesn't work without modification, but 9 speed spacing DOES work between the two brands, despite the seamingly large difference between them. Shimano derailleurs allow for a large FRA which seams to take care of the differences.

As an added bonus, I find the Shimano bar-end shifter to be much more comfortable than the Campy ones.

-Tristan-

· $4000 bike - two bit legs
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks

I'm dissappointed. I did a search before starting this thread, but I guess I didn't use the right terms.

I will probably have to buy the campy bar ends because all of my wheelsets are campy. It just doesn't make sense at this point in the game to go to shimano.

Thanks again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.