Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a set of Dura-Ace bar end shifters for a time trial bike project I am working on and it says on the instructions that the shifters are only compatible with a Dura-Ace rear derailleur. I was going to try and cheap out and get a 105 rear derailleur. Anybody know if this will work or has tried it?

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Shifter/derailleur compatibility and cable re-routing

Cervelo said:
I just picked up a set of Dura-Ace bar end shifters for a time trial bike project I am working on and it says on the instructions that the shifters are only compatible with a Dura-Ace rear derailleur. I was going to try and cheap out and get a 105 rear derailleur. Anybody know if this will work or has tried it?
If the shifters are 8spd (or 7spd), it is true that they are not directly compatible with any other Shimano derailelleurs. Shimano started making Dura-Ace indexing compatible with other groups starting with 9spd (1997).

If the shifters are pre-9spd, you might be able to get away with an old trick. If you route the cable to the other side of the clamping bolt on the derailleur, it changes the relative ratio of cable travel/derailleur movement, and can allow a non-Dura-Ace derailleur to work with Dura-Ace shifters.

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
Cervelo said:
I tried that when DA was 7sp. Had 105 and found a deal on some DA DT shifters, Tried to make it work. Either the top 4 or the bottom 4 would shift, but the others wouldn't. Ended up biting the bullet and getting the DA derialleur.

SO if it sez DA only, its pretty much DA only. If its 9sp its retro compatible to lower component groups.

HTH,

M

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies guys

What I have is all 9 speed stuff. Dura-Ace 9 bar end shifters and 105 front and rear 9 speed derailleurs. All are brand new in the box. What threw is quoting from the directions on the shifters " This shift lever cannot be used with any rear derailleur other than Dura-Ace."

I have always mixed and matched brifters and derailleurs from Dura-Ace 9, Ultegra 9, 105 9 and even Tiagra 9 so I can not see how there can be any difference. Has someone used Dura-Ace 9 with a 105 9 derailleur and can confirm if it will or will not work?

Thanks

·
noob roadie :)
264 Posts
Cervelo said:
What I have is all 9 speed stuff. Dura-Ace 9 bar end shifters and 105 front and rear 9 speed derailleurs. All are brand new in the box. What threw is quoting from the directions on the shifters " This shift lever cannot be used with any rear derailleur other than Dura-Ace."

I have always mixed and matched brifters and derailleurs from Dura-Ace 9, Ultegra 9, 105 9 and even Tiagra 9 so I can not see how there can be any difference. Has someone used Dura-Ace 9 with a 105 9 derailleur and can confirm if it will or will not work?

Thanks
On my Cervelo One, it came with DA bar end shifters with a 105 rear derailleur. So yes, if the gear is 9 speed, it should work.

Ming

·
Registered
114 Posts
jplatzner said:
I have used the dura ace 9 bar ends with 105 and XT...works perfectly.
Ditto. I am currently using 9 speed dura ace barcons with a 105 triple FD and a Deore RD and it works great.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts