Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060322/us_nm/bars_dc

SAN ANTONIO, Texas (Reuters) - Texas has begun sending undercover agents into bars to arrest drinkers for being drunk, a spokeswoman for the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission said on Wednesday.
ADVERTISEMENT

The first sting operation was conducted recently in a Dallas suburb where agents infiltrated 36 bars and arrested 30 people for public intoxication, said the commission's Carolyn Beck.

Being in a bar does not exempt one from the state laws against public drunkenness, Beck said.

The goal, she said, was to detain drunks before they leave a bar and go do something dangerous like drive a car.

"We feel that the only way we're going to get at the drunk driving problem and the problem of people hurting each other while drunk is by crackdowns like this," she said.

"There are a lot of dangerous and stupid things people do when they're intoxicated, other than get behind the wheel of a car," Beck said. "People walk out into traffic and get run over, people jump off of balconies trying to reach a swimming pool and miss."

She said the sting operations would continue throughout the state.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,200 Posts
haiku d'etat said:
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060322/us_nm/bars_dc

SAN ANTONIO, Texas (Reuters) - Texas has begun sending undercover agents into bars to arrest drinkers for being drunk, a spokeswoman for the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission said on Wednesday.
ADVERTISEMENT

The first sting operation was conducted recently in a Dallas suburb where agents infiltrated 36 bars and arrested 30 people for public intoxication, said the commission's Carolyn Beck.

Being in a bar does not exempt one from the state laws against public drunkenness, Beck said.

The goal, she said, was to detain drunks before they leave a bar and go do something dangerous like drive a car.

"We feel that the only way we're going to get at the drunk driving problem and the problem of people hurting each other while drunk is by crackdowns like this," she said.

"There are a lot of dangerous and stupid things people do when they're intoxicated, other than get behind the wheel of a car," Beck said. "People walk out into traffic and get run over, people jump off of balconies trying to reach a swimming pool and miss."

She said the sting operations would continue throughout the state.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

You got this from The Onion, right?

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
KenB said:
You got this from The Onion, right?
see the link, moreon.

seriuosly, this is f*cking something out of a bad python skit.

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,200 Posts
haiku d'etat said:
see the link, moreon.

seriuosly, this is f*cking something out of a bad python skit.
You should have dumped this one in PO cause that is some pretty jacked up sh*t.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,401 Posts
Arrest them, Hell ! Use a stun gun on them until they pee their pants. That'll put the fear of goddess into them.

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
I thought we'd just get some K9 units in there to make 'em pee. So, how does one define public drunkeness in a bar anyway? Is it J's dancing on the bar in his thong or the person quietly drowning their sorrows away in the corner before stumbling home. Unbelievable.

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MR_GRUMPY said:
Arrest them, Hell ! Use a stun gun on them until they pee their pants. That'll put the fear of goddess into them.
i've been stunned AND sprayed in the face with OC in classes.

ain't no thang. no pee from me.

then again, git me drunk 'nuf and i'll pee my pants etc etc.

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
so apparently you can be on private property (the bar) yet the laws for public intoxication apply bc there are others around. scotty2hotty? other lawyers? i didn't realize this.

i'm all for getting drunk drivers off the road, but if I had to pick sides I'd say they have gone too far. quite possibly some of those arrested took cabs or had designated drivers, and weren't bothering anyone, putting themselves or anyone else in danger, etc. then again maybe they were ulta conservative when picking people to arrest, I don't know. it pretty much comes down to "using their best judgement" and how "their best judgement" compares to how I feel.

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
I am 100% for this. How can anyone not be for it? It's the only way we can stop the epidemic of people in Texas walking out into traffic and getting run over, and jumping off of balconies trying to reach a swimming pool and missing. I think we can all agree that these are horrible things, and the sheer horrible horribleness of these horrible things outweighs any civil rights or privacy violations.

Next, they can start working on all the stupid things people do when they're NOT intoxicated.

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
I saw the Chicago cops release one of their dogs on someone on the train. Not pretty. Guy was a total dumb a** though. Total obvious set up for a drug bust (undercover in hawaain shirt and cubs hat with $20 bill sticking out of pocket sits in front of suspect, etc). I'm thinking this is soooo obvious....

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Wouldn't it make more sense to block the parking lot and have a check station to prevent drunks from leaving? It would force people to take taxis if they were to drunk to drive.

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Friction_Shifter said:
so apparently you can be on private property (the bar) yet the laws for public intoxication apply bc there are others around. scotty2hotty? other lawyers? i didn't realize this.

i'm all for getting drunk drivers off the road, but if I had to pick sides I'd say they have gone too far. quite possibly some of those arrested took cabs or had designated drivers, and weren't bothering anyone, putting themselves or anyone else in danger, etc. then again maybe they were ulta conservative when picking people to arrest, I don't know. it pretty much comes down to "using their best judgement" and how "their best judgement" compares to how I feel.
according to the article, they view "in a bar" as "in public".

but...#1...what happens if they leave and are picked up immediately by a designated drivfer or taxi?

#2...what if they have a few drinks, then sober up below the legal limit, before leaving?

WTF???

reads like the TC movie "minority report" to me..."future crimes".

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
Ridgetop said:
Wouldn't it make more sense to block the parking lot and have a check station to prevent drunks from leaving? It would force people to take taxis if they were to drunk to drive.
Jeeze, what an amateur! Do you know nothing about criminal behavior?? It's pretty obvious that if you block patrons from using their cars, some will take taxis, but the ones who don't have money for taxis will either steal a car, creating a car theft problem, or they'll rob the other patrons, and now you have a robbery problem. You create far more crime than you stop. Leave the policing to the police!

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,401 Posts
...#1...what happens if they leave and are picked up immediately by a designated drivfer or taxi?
Unless the taxi drives into the bar, the drunk has to walk outside.

#2...what if they have a few drinks, then sober up below the legal limit, before leaving?
As long as they smell like booze, and mouth off to a Chicago cop, that's good for a beatin'
If they're polite to the cops, they will only end up face down on the sidewalk while being "checked out".

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
I think the best way to reduce the # of drunk drivers on the roads and highway deaths is to legalize this. But then people would just start killing each other.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
I'll probably get flamed for this, but.....

I don't get the outrage.

If I'm in a bar socializing with friends, there is usually nothing more obnoxious than a drunk.......It is a public place (anyone can enter, same logic for banning smoking in resturants), why should I, a paying customer, have to put up with public drunkiness?

You all want to get sh## faced, stay home.

Len

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
MR_GRUMPY said:
...#1...what happens if they leave and are picked up immediately by a designated drivfer or taxi?
Unless the taxi drives into the bar, the drunk has to walk outside.

As long as they smell like booze, and mouth off to a Chicago cop, that's good for a beatin'
If they're polite to the cops, they will only end up face down on the sidewalk while being "checked out".
i was "checked out" at my FIRST EVER sobriety checkpoint in b'ham AL a few weeks ago. no worries. they weren't playing, either. it was about 15 miles south of b'ham off 65 on a backroad. eek. and like that. :eek:

·
I'm not like anyone else
1,796 Posts
haiku d'etat said:
i've been stunned AND sprayed in the face with OC in classes.

ain't no thang. no pee from me.

then again, git me drunk 'nuf and i'll pee my pants etc etc.
Stunned, sprayed... dooable!!! Benn there done that!

Drunk, I won't pee my pants...

Howsumever... (from the other side.) Get a drunk in a pub, then stun em for havin an "attitude" cause he was out for the count and a good tiime. Got peed and ralphd on as the arresting ossifer... Not a good feelin. Try it... If the ossifer is like many, he will never forget and probably never try to do it again! Worked on me!

Busted for being drunk in a bar... nope! What's a bar for anyway?

This is America... freedom... right?

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Len J said:
I don't get the outrage.

If I'm in a bar socializing with friends, there is usually nothing more obnoxious than a drunk.......It is a public place (anyone can enter, same logic for banning smoking in resturants), why should I, a paying customer, have to put up with public drunkiness?

You all want to get sh## faced, stay home.

Len
agreed, but where is the line drawn? i've been in my share of bars and i'd guess maybe 3-4% of the experiences have exposed someone out of control.

too bad the article doesn't specify methods used.

btw, Len: a friend a colleague at my office was unjustly fired two weeks ago. fellow IT guy. he was in a "standoff" this weekend with police. would not leave his house. shot himself when they breached the doors and windows. services are tomorrow. i'm not taking sides, but it's horribly sad, and the second i've experienced AT THIS WORKPACE in the last 3 years.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts