Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With old Shimano levers, you had enough reach on the hood that I could comfortable wrest my forearm on the bars when I wanted to get aero without getting in the drops. Now I have RED and the lever hood is shorter and I am using 3T bars. Right now I have a flat transition from bar to hood with the drops pointing slightly down. What I think I need is a deep reach bar (~90mm) with a shape that would allow drops to be approximately parallel to ground but allow the hoods to be mounted on the bar to create a 'V' transition from bar to hoods. If that makes any sense....

·
Registered
330 Posts
Something more like traditional drops, right?

But deeper... I have to go with the shorter/smaller bars so I don't know of any deeper bars offhand, but maybe this will help your search.

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
Basically, you just want to drape your forearms on the tops of the bars right?

Is that what you mean? I'm a little confused with what you want and also stating you want a new hood position at the same time?

·
Registered
8,104 Posts
I have Ritchey Pro bars with Rival shifters and they give a nice flat top that's longer than the short/shallow bars out now which gives me room to rest my forearms on them when hammering.

You might also want to look at Pro "Thor" series bars...they have a more traditional bend, but have I believe an 83mm - 85mm reach on top that's flat, again providing a nice base to put your forearms on the bars.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts