Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
What the what???
12,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 26mm handlebar and I would like to use a shorter stem. I have a stem that will do the trick, but it's a 31.6mm. I know there are shims available to transition the bar to shim diameters. Has anyone ever used them? Had any problems with slippage? In my case both the bars and stem are aluminum.

FWIW, I'm a Clyde, and while I don't do a lot of climbing out of the saddle with this bike (it's my commuter) I do want something that's going to be secure.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
I used bar shims in the past with no issues. To check for tightness, straddle the bike and put your hands on the brake hoods. Then put as much downward force on the hoods as you can. If the bars don't move, you're good to go. Re-check after the first ride and tighten some more, if needed.

FWIW: what rotates not-so-tight bars is not so much climbing, but hard road shocks when riding with the hands on the hoods (#1 bar rotator: pothole). But even if the bars rotate a bit: no one's going to die. :)

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,980 Posts
I've used them & they're fine.

·
What the what???
12,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good to know, everyone. Thank you for the feedback! Shims are going to be a lot less expensive than ordering a new stem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts