Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
I used Cinelli cork gel tape for years. Then last year, I built up a new bike and decided to try Fizik tape, which I left on all year.

It "lasted all year" as I have several bikes to spread the miles over.

Anyway, last week I put new Cinelli cork gel tape on that bike and rode it 68 miles on Saturday.

Wow. Why did I leave the Fizik crap on there so long? I guess I'm too cheap to admit my mistake but now I know. Some things work and shouldn't be experimented with.

·
Banned
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MerlinAma said:
I used Cinelli cork gel tape for years. Then last year, I built up a new bike and decided to try Fizik tape, which I left on all year.

It "lasted all year" as I have several bikes to spread the miles over.

Anyway, last week I put new Cinelli cork gel tape on that bike and rode it 68 miles on Saturday.

Wow. Why did I leave the Fizik crap on there so long? I guess I'm too cheap to admit my mistake but now I know. Some things work and shouldn't be experimented with.
what made the Cinelli tape that much better than the Fizik? i've heard some good stuff about Fizik tape..

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Andrea138 said:
Mr. 138 has had the same metallic gray Fizik wrap on his bars for about two years now, and it looks the same as it did the day I put it on!
It wasn't the looks, it was the feel.

And it is always white.

And yes, I'm still really talking about bar tape. :D

On reason I tried the Fizik tape was based on some suggestions here. I just didn't think it was as comfortable as Cinelli tape.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Andrea138 said:
Yeah, the Fizik is not very padded, but I think the grip is fabulous. I've (successfully!) sprinted in the rain on it. I save the padding for my gloves.
+1 here. i use the fizik black mircotex tape and really like it too...i raced in the rain this sunday and grip was great

·
Burn baby, burn.
2,497 Posts
Have used the Fizik and the Pro branded tape for quite a while.
As mentioned by others the Fizik is pretty thin and for this reason I have been double layering it. I love how it does not get as dirty as some of the cork tape (especially seeing as though I like white bar tape).
Recently I purchased some of the Fizik Dual bar tape which was a fun experiment and feels a little thicker than the standard Fizik. I ahave still double layered it though as I like a good chunky grip.
I also have some Lizard Skins DSP which I will try once I am bored with my Cat in a Hat bars. It feels nice and tacky to touch, much like some MTB grips I have used.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,981 Posts
I've used a bunch of different tapes through the years. I used to use Cinelli exclusively but, IMO, their quality has become worse and worse over the past 6-7 years.

Deda is good, but short. If you make an error taping it you'll be doing it again. It doesn't give you an extra inch to play with. Comfy though - I like it.

Fizik is, IMO, the best! It looks good, installs easily, and is very comfy. It gives terrific grip in any and all weather conditions. Kinda pricey though.

A friend of mine has some kind of Specialized tape that looks and feels like Fizik. I've never tried it.

·
What Would Google Do.
1,486 Posts
whatever ones in stock, its bar tape ffs!

·
Banned
3,060 Posts
I like Cinelli cork but I have Specialized Roubaix tape on a couple of bikes and I'm liking it too. I have black on my Lemond and white on the wife's (she hasn't complained about it) I just put some red on the Seven. It also cleans up well with dish soap and a soft brush.

·
Frog Whisperer
41,018 Posts
I have Brooks on my Bianchi, this will be my 3rd season coming up, I love the way it feels.

·
Banned
7,071 Posts
I like old fashioned cloth tape- it wears like iron and no matter how much I sweat, it never gets slippery.

'Course, it's got zero padding.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.