Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
41 - 60 of 94 Posts

·
Banned
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
how is the S-Works Cork Tape? i'm new to road biking, and i dunno if i will get hand pain or not. i've only ridden my bike less than 10 miles on 2 separate rides.

I currently have the stock tape that came on my Tricross. The S-Works tape supposedly dampens vibrations, do you guys suggest a newb get that over the thin leather Fizik tape even tho it looks better and grips better?

PS. LBS is charging $10 installed for the S-Works tape

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
Jim311 said:
Thanks for the link. You apply it on the tops of the bars, and on the flat section of the drops I assume? Or is that personal preference?
Yea you can do ether I only put it on the bar tops. I don't really have any problems when I'm in the drops. The gel has a sticky back that helps it stick to the bars.

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts

·
Frog Whisperer
41,018 Posts
I believe specialized sell what the call "Bar phat" or at least they used to. Another suggestion , cut several lengths of get tap (old tape will do) and use some electrical tape to hold it on LENGTHWISE on the part of the bar that you are putting the pressure on. This eliminates the bulk of the double wrap all the way around yet adds the padding. I don't do this because I don't feel like I need the padding (good gloves) but have tried it. I find that since I have small hands, if the bar gets too big around, my hands fatigue very rapidly.

·
Shirtcocker
60,640 Posts
Touch0Gray said:
I believe specialized sell what the call "Bar phat" or at least they used to. Another suggestion , cut several lengths of get tap (old tape will do) and use some electrical tape to hold it on LENGTHWISE on the part of the bar that you are putting the pressure on. This eliminates the bulk of the double wrap all the way around yet adds the padding. I don't do this because I don't feel like I need the padding (good gloves) but have tried it. I find that since I have small hands, if the bar gets too big around, my hands fatigue very rapidly.
+1, but if you do need padding some used tubes cut to shape and taped on underneath the tape where you need padding work just fine and don't cost you anything.

·
Frog Whisperer
41,018 Posts
yeah, same thing I am suggesting with the old bar tape.....I got more old bat tape than old tubes......meh...maybe not

but when i am re-wrapping i always have some right there tangles around my feet

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Started with the Spesh Roubaix tape and Bar Phat wasn't too bad. Then to the Fizik Microtex...did not like it...way too thin.

Now double wrapped with some Cervelo tape I got for 5 bux and Stella Azzura Elegante tape on top. So far this is the best feeling setup for me.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
I might've posted in this thread, but I went back to Fizik after a short stint with SRAM. The latter left unpleasant chunks of foam all over my bars whereas Fizik leaves virtually nothing. I'm a fan of thin tape, and am inclined to ride without gloves until the hands get super sweaty or cold.

Right now I'm using their chalk white tape, which has a bit of a soft texture as opposed to their shiny/smooth grey color. Stays clean easily.

·
Registered
346 Posts
WOW a lot of Fizik Microtex fans out there. I used to be one of those but since I tried Lizard Skins DSP 1.8 handlebar tape I am not going back to Fizik. This tape just simply rule it has this cushion feel very, very nice and confortable too.:thumbsup:

·
Descender
1,940 Posts
For fans of thick tape - I use and recommend Serfas it's chunky and soft to the touch even with a tight wrap, with or without gloves. Lasts forever, easy to clean and is < $10 a roll. I have mine braided so it is extra thick.

Other I have tried:
Cinelli cork - easy to tear, discolors quickly
Cinelli Synthetic Cork - much like Serfas - but costs more, not as thick.
Bontrager - With a tight rap it feels hard, although it is easy to wrap - too expensive
Deda - Similar to Bontrager, good color choices - more expensive.
Sram - as someone noted above, somewhat plastic feel to it - otherwise not bad.

From comments above I may try to do a double wrap with Serfas underneath and Fizik on top - get the padding and the grip at the same time.

41 - 60 of 94 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.