Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I reciently had my bar re-taped. The LBS did a good job but they used electrical tape at the beginning and the ends of the bar. Is this the standard way to wrap bars? I would think they would use something else/better? Did they go "cheap" on me?

·
Registered
520 Posts
don't listen to him muay... shops very commonly use electrical tape because it generally holds up better than the tape included with packs of bar tape. so most likely, they did you a favor. most all shops will do this. :)

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I always use electrical tape at the tops of the bars- cheap, many colors available, and holds up well. But they should have used bar plugs at the ends- both to hold the tape in place and to keep you for coring your leg in a crash.

That said, why'd you have the LBS do it? Taping is easy, albeit tedious. Learn to do it yourself and save time and money.

·
Lemur-ing
19,208 Posts
hammrob said:
Tape should only be used at the top of the bars, at the bottom a little bit of the bar tap should be folded into the end of the bars to help hold the plugs in firmly. Also looks good if done right.
I NEVER fold my bar tapes in the ends of the drops coz I use Bzzkill dampers :)

·
Los Barriles, BCS, Mexico
1,459 Posts
I use electrical tape to finish my wrap jobs. I have seen others use electrical tape at the bar ends though it's not terribly common.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.