Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm building up a new bike, and am going with barcons for shifters. Having never used bar-ends before, but loving the topmounts I have on one of my MTBs, I wanted to hear the opinions of those who have used bar-ends. Pros, cons, pure, biased opinion, whatever, lemme hear it.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
I've used barcons, downtube, stem, sti, & ergo shifters. I liked the barcons the least of all. Camp ergos are the best, IMO.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
I've used conventionally-mounted bar-cons and a set mounted with the Paul Thumbies; I'd say that unless you plan to ride a lot on the bar tops, go for a conventional setup. For me, going from the hoods or the drops to the Thumbies was awkward. It's a far more natural feeling for me to let my hand slide down the outside of the bar to the bottom and the bar-cons. I'm not knocking the Thumbies--the bike I have 'em on is used mostly for light touring and commuting, and as I'm on the bar tops a lot, the Thumbies really work well. Get onto the hoods on a fast fire road or singletrack and it'd be pretty unnerving....

·
Registered
10 Posts
I road em' for years and they are great. But I think they are inconvenient for racing. STI is better for racing, but bar cons are awesome for commuting and all around riding.

Although nothing beats a nice pair of suntour bar cons... them shits is nice. as far as bar cons go they are the best.

Thats just my opinion.

-Joe

·
Registered
86 Posts
FTM said:
Not Barcons, but I always thought Kelly's Take-Offs looked like a good solution for cross. Never tried them though, my bike only has one gear

Anybody try these? How are they when your in the drops? I ask because I wonder if they would work better with a top pull mtb front derailleur than an STI lever and I just happen to have a brand new 9spd Durace front downtube shifter.

·
Registered
813 Posts
MrXC said:
Anybody try these? How are they when your in the drops? I ask because I wonder if they would work better with a top pull mtb front derailleur than an STI lever and I just happen to have a brand new 9spd Durace front downtube shifter.
\

I havent read about anyone whose actually used them. I just emailed chris to buy the left side only as it cant be done from the website.

Because the FD is already controlled by a friction shifter, it makes theoretical sense to use this instead of an STI lever.

we'll see...

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
I had Kelly takeoffs on both my cross bike for awhile, and then moved them to my road bike, and could not get used to them on either. One problem that I had was that the front shifter would always slip, thus causing the derailuer to start to rub.

That said, I do know a guy that races on them for cross, and he likes them more than sti.

I have barcons on my road bike now, which is mainly a commuter/trainer, but sti on my cross bike.

I think that I like the barcons for road, but would kind of be leery of them for cross.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts