Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to buy a new bike at my LBS, priced at what the manufacturer specifies on its web site. One thing I have learned while shopping is that there is little local competition for a particular type of bike. That is, if I want to buy Specialized, I am basically stuck with one LBS. Of course there is competition between manufacturers, but once I have found what I like, I am pretty much committed to one shop.

I am a newbie at this, so my question is: Is it customary to bargain on the price of the bike, like shopping for a car? If not, is it cool to ask the shop to throw in extras like pedals or shoes, or something like that?

· Have good, get give
964 Posts
You can try, but bike prices are only going up for next year in almost every price point. LBS are probably content to sit on what they have right now also given the gas situation amongst other things.

Things you can probably get is a year of service, 10% off or the club rate for gear for a year, etc. etc.

· Registered
152 Posts
It doesn't hurt to try. Offer them a fair price, if you are out of the ballpark there will be no negotiation. I bough a Specialized Allez last March, and I negotiated $50 off the sale price because the bike was an 07 model.

I still buy accesories from them and they remember me from my initial purchase they are very friendly.

· Registered
665 Posts
There's not a lot of profit there. Depends on the pricepoint too. Asking them to take $50 off of a $300 bike is different than asking for 50 off of $1000.
Often times you might be able to negotiate water bottle cages perhaps a computer. Maybe a few dollars off a helmet or shoes.

· Adventure Seeker
5,123 Posts
I've seen very few competitive selections when it comes to bikes. I'd imagine so retailers can remain profitable vs fighting each other and the customers lose in service and lower quality.
Yes, prices ARE going up significantly, due to metals skyrocketing and of course transportation going up considerably too. Right now is an excellent time to buy due to this - an '08 model is recommended over an '09.
You can also get a bike on line, and then take it to a LBS to get fit. This will allow you to save and get better features (if you know what to look out for).

· Registered
706 Posts
I would never expect to pay MSRP. If you do however, it should include some extras as mentioned (cages, computer, no charge for a better saddle, stuff like that). Of course at my LBS, I've never asked and the prices they've consistantly given explain why I order online in only very rare instances.
A good shop that wants you as a valued repeat customer will offer you at least something off the price or other. If my purchase involves a salesperson whom I can do repeat business with, and I think will remember me, I typically will not ask and will instead wait for them to offer. Or maybe I'll say "OK, price it out for me." At that point I usually know if I'll be using that store/salesperson again, or if I am even going to make that purchase.

· Registered
507 Posts
Peanya said:
You can also get a bike on line, and then take it to a LBS to get fit. This will allow you to save and get better features (if you know what to look out for).

The amount of money you save will likely equal the cost of a bike fit from the LBS. Plus, the LBS might not be quite as 'thorough' doing the fit, knowing that you passed them over for the bike purchase, but now show up at their door wanting help.

· Adventure Seeker
5,123 Posts
Chef Tony said:
The amount of money you save will likely equal the cost of a bike fit from the LBS. Plus, the LBS might not be quite as 'thorough' doing the fit, knowing that you passed them over for the bike purchase, but now show up at their door wanting help.
That can be true. Hopefully, a true pro with a passion for healthy cycling won't care. It might take a few phone calls to find the right one, and possibly a few fittings.

· Registered
3,863 Posts
What I did when I bought my Colnago and few years back is ask if my bike club 10% discount applied to bikes. The owner said "no, but come see me when you want to buy a bike and I will take care of you". He did and I saved about $400. Being a long time customer helped. You need to establish a relationship with your LBS. They want you coming back. Long time customers is what keeps them in business. They know where their bread is buttered. If you just walked in the door unknown to them, it might be different.

The best deals on built up bikes are when the new models come out. My last new ride was marked down $1100.

· Registered
638 Posts
Although the margin isnt totally huge on a bike it definately is on all the extras so use those to negotiate with. Just say what price can you do for the bike, helmet, gloves, two bottles, cages, pedals, computer, and a jersey. Also look for a last years model deal. I paid $1199 for my scott s10 because it was an 06' and those were $1999 normally.

· Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,955 Posts
You should be able to get $25-100 bucks off retail. In fact, when I used to work at a bike shop, it was instructed to not give this "leeway discount" unless the customer was a hardliner or barder.

It was better to sway them to buy, as opposed to give 'em to the competition.

· Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,955 Posts
*delete* doulbe post.

· MTBR Member
3,124 Posts
What I did was work at a shop for a summer. They still treat me very well. :) For general customers, the shop will offer 5% off if you pay with cash/debit (as credit cards have fees). If you are a regular/returning customer, you will get treated better.

For random shops, that you have not developed a relationship with, your experience will vary.
Free water bottle cages are usually an easy freebee though. If it is a hot item, there is little reason for the shop to sell for a low price.

· Registered
5,358 Posts
The margin on bikes is really low. There's not much there to discount. Accessories on the other hand have a much better margin. So a good tactic is to pay MSRP for the bike and then get a discount on accessories. In fact a lot of stores offer this. The benefit to you is the same as getting a dis**** on a bike since you have to buy a bunch of accessories no matter what, but it's a lot easier to negotiate.

· Registered
219 Posts
I just purchased a Roubaix Expert at my local bike shop and it had a sticker price of $3300.00 on it, I told the owner that I was ready to buy and was willing to pay in cash please give me your best price. He came back with a 23% discount, I was pleasantly suprised. They also give a 20% discount for their customers on all parts and accessories. If I have a problem with anything they are more than helpful, that's why I like dealing local. I own a major appliance dealership and there is not a day that goes by that a customer doesn't ask for a discount. I think we can thank all the box stores for the want more for less mentality today.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.