Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to watch my daughter race and practice shooting. Comments and critique certainly welcome and I hope you enjoy them.

1)

2)

3)

4)

5)

6)

7)

8)

9)

10)

Thanks for looking.

Regards,
Jeff

· Goodbye, Pork Pie Hat
4,622 Posts
Wow. You took some great shots, Jeff.

I'm curious about background effects. Did you manipulate them at all?

· Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
slowmo1: Neither of those are my daughter. The picture below is of her. Thanks for the comments.

mr.meow meow: Thank you. Aarontoy?? Possibly somebody from the board??

Antonio B: All of the effects were done 'in camera' by panning with shutter speeds from 1/20sec. to 1/80sec. Thank you for the comments.

Regards,
Jeff

· Registered
2,746 Posts
those look as good or better than a lot of professional pics that you see in magazines. Don't let anyone in her club know how good you are or you will surely be pressured into the club photographer.... thanks for posting those pics.

· the other Derek
421 Posts
Excellent photos. Good job of capturing the action on the course. The only critique I have is that the faces are shadowed and it is hard to see the rider's expressions. Flash fill or photoshop should do the trick.

· Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
Nice pics. You've done a very good job here. Bike pics are particularly difficult because the rider's faces are facing down so frequently. Even if you used a fill, & you'd need a very strong light to carry the shooting distance, it probably wouldn't help very much. If you could somehow light them from below, they'd look strange. We're all used to seeing most objects, especially humans, illuminated from above.

Great job on these!

· Registered
345 Posts
its funny i was going to say #6 looked a little too "photo shoppy" then read your comment that you were just panning. I still think it is a little weird with the two forground guys blurred, cool, but it doesnt look like a natural picture.

That is being very picky, they were awsome pictures.

· Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
bustamove, thanks for your comments.

mr. versatile, thanks for your comments and I tend to agree regarding fill flash. Lots of ways to make it look wrong and tough to get right. I think the biggest challenge would be due to the slow recycle times between shots. I have to shoot quite a few frames during each pan which wouldn't be possible with the flash unit I have (Canon 580EX).

AmoJohnny, thank you.

spyro, several people have struggled with # 6, myself included. It just seemed to be one of the odder captures. It's strange to see so much of the rest streaked and blurred all around it and that is on top of the angle they were approaching me. However, I assure you that all of these effects were done 'in-camera'. The only things done in photoshop were a little simple sharpening action and maybe playing with the curves and levels just a bit. All of the blurs and streaks were straight from the camera. Thank you for your comments.

Regards,
Jeff

· Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
CC09 said:
lets see the rest of them

great photos, btw
Thanks! Here you go....

1) The focus was more on the torso than the face (as I usually look for), but I liked the effects from this one.

2)

3) I really liked the degradation of this one as it trails off from the lead rider.

4)

5)

6)

7)

8)

9)

10)

Regards and thanks for looking,
Jeff

· uhhhh, what?
222 Posts
dude, those photos totally kick ass!!!

the way you've managed to capture the speed, the effort, the agression, the flow...

remarkable, doubly so given that it was all "in camera". you've a rare talent to be sure, please make these photo posts a regular occurance.

absolutely fantastic stuff, i wish i had 1/10 the camera talent you display. i'm really good in the landscape realm, and that's about it...

best regards, eric

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.