Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been on a quest for over 2 months now to find some bars that fit my position on my road bike. I have finally got it dialed in with the stem so that I sit comfortably on the tops of the bars; however, the reach on the bars I am currently using is a bit too far. The bars as Cinelli Devo's with anatomic drops.

Beyond the fact that the reach is a problem, I also have small hands and a real problem getting my fingers to comfortably reach the levers when in the drops (where I spend most of my time in races).

Does anyone have any suggested bar or bend combinations for those of you with small hands and short reach?

Also, a friend of mine recommended I upgrade to DA10 (I've got DA9 on my Merckx) since the levers are longer.

(Note: I tried Deda Newton Shallows and just couldn't get comfy with the "classic" bend in the bars - suppose I'm too used to the anatomic.)

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
Rivendell might have some, too

Didn't pay much attention because I have monster hands, but when I ordered my Cane Creek levers from Rivendell, I think I saw something about a version for small hands. Straight brake levers, though, no STI. www.rivbike.com

·
Registered
51 Posts
Salsa Poco

Supersonic said:
I have been on a quest for over 2 months now to find some bars that fit my position on my road bike. I have finally got it dialed in with the stem so that I sit comfortably on the tops of the bars; however, the reach on the bars I am currently using is a bit too far. The bars as Cinelli Devo's with anatomic drops.

Beyond the fact that the reach is a problem, I also have small hands and a real problem getting my fingers to comfortably reach the levers when in the drops (where I spend most of my time in races).

Does anyone have any suggested bar or bend combinations for those of you with small hands and short reach?

Also, a friend of mine recommended I upgrade to DA10 (I've got DA9 on my Merckx) since the levers are longer.

(Note: I tried Deda Newton Shallows and just couldn't get comfy with the "classic" bend in the bars - suppose I'm too used to the anatomic.)
http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?...o+Handlebar&vendorCode=SALSA&major=1&minor=15

This might be your answer.

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
1.)Find the bars that you like - Look to see if Salsa has something.

2)Reach to the levers doesn't matter as much - Specialized makes some shims that you can arrange under the clamps to bring them in.

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,806 Posts
The Holy Grail

Supersonic said:
My wife is currently on a similar quest as you. Her primary goal is to be comfortable on the hoods rather than the drops. Her short list currently is:
Salsa - Poco or Short and Shallow
http://www.salsacycles.com/

Specialized - Womens Road Bar or the Ruby if you want really high end carbon bars.
http://www.specializedbikes.com/

Bontrager - Race Lite OS Anatomic.
http://www.bontrager.com

You also might look to see what Terry has.
http://www.terrybicycles.com

Supersonic said:
My wife found her DA9 hoods were too big for her hands too. She has decided to join the rest of the household and switch over to the darkside and will be getting Chorus instead of roses for Valentines Day.

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
please clarify...

There are three common positions. Hands on the top of the bars (straight section near the stem) for climbing, hands on the brake hoods and hands in the drops.

Get the reach to the brake hoods right first; that's where most of your time is spent. The only drop position that I use is where my hands are up high in the drop section witht my fingers in reach of the brakes. The top of the bar position should take care of itself, since it's far more upright than the brake hood position.

Find a bar you like first, with a comfortable anatomic drop section. THEN get the stem length necessary to produce the reach you need to the brake hoods. Expecting to use your existing stem with a shorter reach bar may not be the answer.

Different bars will not likely improve the reach to the brake levers. Shimano makes short reach STI levers and as others noted, you can shim the top of the lever so it won't open up all the way. This will require readjusting the brake cable tension.

FWIW, I use the Salsa Poco, but only because I was experimenting with a far-back saddle position and didn't want a stubby stem. I use them with a 120mm stem right now, but I could just as well use a more standard reach bar with a 110mm stem. The Poco is an odd bar that requires the bar to be rotated up quite a bit (tips pointing to the rea axle) otherwise the brake hoods sit too low relative to the saddle. Fortunately this rotation produces a nice angle in the drops.

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
Keeping up with Junior said:
My wife is currently on a similar quest as you. Her primary goal is to be comfortable on the hoods rather than the drops. Her short list currently is:
Salsa - Poco or Short and Shallow
http://www.salsacycles.com/

Specialized - Womens Road Bar or the Ruby if you want really high end carbon bars.
http://www.specializedbikes.com/

Bontrager - Race Lite OS Anatomic.
http://www.bontrager.com

You also might look to see what Terry has.
http://www.terrybicycles.com

My wife found her DA9 hoods were too big for her hands too. She has decided to join the rest of the household and switch over to the darkside and will be getting Chorus instead of roses for Valentines Day.
I have tried and MEASURED several bars that are marketed for small hands including the Terry, Poco and Short & Shallow. They make no difference - 83 to 86mm from the back of the bar to the front of the lever. I have not tried any of the newer bars being sold by Trek, Specialized, etc. on their women's bikes and would be interested in any data on these. - TF

·
Registered
51 Posts
Supersonic said:
b/c I have an oversized stem. Salsa appears to only come in 26mm.
Read Keeeping up w/ Jr. post regarding Bontrager bars. Bonti has some nice 75mm reach bars that are affordable. Also consider Easton Equipe Bar at 75mm reach. I bit pricing but a nice light and comfortable bar.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Bullhorns

Do you race?
If not try this setup:
Bullhorn bars
Cross brake levers
Barcons
All total < $100, fits small hands just fine.
Just not race legal.

Edit:
Sorry, didn't see the racing comment first. Forget what I said ;-)

Michael
----------------------------
Ride, rinse, repeat.

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,806 Posts
Yardsticks

TurboTurtle said:
I have tried and MEASURED several bars... They make no difference - 83 to 86mm from the back of the bar to the front of the lever...
Makes sense if you are riding on the hoods that there is not much difference between 83 or 86 for the reach. I guess the dilema I am having is the reach of your fingers when in the drops to the levers themselves. Looking at the pics of the Equip bars the pro looks like the more rounded shape would put your hands (and therefor fingers) farther forward and as a result closer to the levers. The shape of the Equip Pros seem to put your hands farther back but perhaps the levers mount more vertically and dont shoot away from the drops. So after finding bars with the proper reach somewhere near 80mm +/- the issue comes down to the shape of the bar:
1) What position are the levers in when clamped to the bar
2) How far forward are you hands in the drops particularly in relation to the brake levers.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Supersonic said:

With Shimano you have 2 choices for "small hands" levers - Ultegra R600 (as far as I can remember they are 9-speed, BTW, "normal hands" 9-spedd Ultegra levers are 650x ) and new R700 (2006 model, 10-speed, not designated to any specific group).

Third possibility is (as was suggested in other post here) to "shim" your existing levers. Exact procedure was throughly described in this forum several times, hopefully you can find it in archives.

G

·
http://www.cbike.com/Deda_Elementi.htm

Shimano - Profile

Clamp diameter 31.7. New bar from Deda
designed to match Shimano STI levers Brand: Deda Elementi
Model: Deda SuperNatural
Bar 31.7mm
Weight: 205 grams
Material: 7075 T6 Aluminum
Color: Black
Reach: 79.9 mm
Drop: 142 mm
Widths: 42, 44, 46 cm.

Diameter: 31.7mm
(Use with Mag00, Forza,
Einstein,Newton,
or Magic Stem)

Check out the new Deda Supernatural, the specs for which I have put in here. It is an anatomic bend designed to suit STI levers. The original deda newton anatomic bend was designed around and to suit campy ergo levers.

The reach is 79.9mm but the drop is noticeable less than any other anatomic bar that deda make, and less than the deda newton shallow.

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
Keeping up with Junior said:
Makes sense if you are riding on the hoods that there is not much difference between 83 or 86 for the reach. I guess the dilema I am having is the reach of your fingers when in the drops to the levers themselves. Looking at the pics of the Equip bars the pro looks like the more rounded shape would put your hands (and therefor fingers) farther forward and as a result closer to the levers. The shape of the Equip Pros seem to put your hands farther back but perhaps the levers mount more vertically and dont shoot away from the drops. So after finding bars with the proper reach somewhere near 80mm +/- the issue comes down to the shape of the bar:
1) What position are the levers in when clamped to the bar
2) How far forward are you hands in the drops particularly in relation to the brake levers.
The measurements are for the bar to lever ("back of bar to front of lever") in the drops. They were measured mounted at the minimum distance for that bar. Note that these bars may make a difference if the levers are mounted in a prefered position ratrher than the optimal (for hand size) position. But at about 85mm minimum, it makes no difference for those of us who have to let go of the bars to reach the levers. - TF

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
Campy solution...

There is a solution to the brake reach problem with campy levers. Briefly, it amounts to applying a small amount of 5-minut epoxyy to the ergo lever body, just behind the brake lever quick release pin. The lever won;t open up all the way and the reach can be reduce by about 13mm, which is a lot.

I use a 1 inch dowel slid between the bars and the inner shift lever as a gage for the maximum reduction in reach. Much closer and you won't have enough travel left to operate the brakes.

I can provide a detailed procedure if desired.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i agree, but...

C-40 said:
There are three common positions. Hands on the top of the bars (straight section near the stem) for climbing, hands on the brake hoods and hands in the drops.

Get the reach to the brake hoods right first; that's where most of your time is spent. The only drop position that I use is where my hands are up high in the drop section witht my fingers in reach of the brakes. The top of the bar position should take care of itself, since it's far more upright than the brake hood position.

Find a bar you like first, with a comfortable anatomic drop section. THEN get the stem length necessary to produce the reach you need to the brake hoods. Expecting to use your existing stem with a shorter reach bar may not be the answer.

FWIW, I use the Salsa Poco, but only because I was experimenting with a far-back saddle position and didn't want a stubby stem. I use them with a 120mm stem right now, but I could just as well use a more standard reach bar with a 110mm stem. The Poco is an odd bar that requires the bar to be rotated up quite a bit (tips pointing to the rea axle) otherwise the brake hoods sit too low relative to the saddle. Fortunately this rotation produces a nice angle in the drops.
i agree with you wholeheartedly that this would indeed be the best way 2 go about it.

However, I got a used bike from a friend and am trying to make it work with what he's got on it so as to save some dough.

Seeing as I have a 100mm stem on it, can't go much shorter. That's why I'm trying to find some bars.

I also had the problem that positioning the hoods on the Deda Shallows so I can reach them puts them in a spot that sits them way too low relative to the saddle.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
interesting...

i see; they claim to have 6mm less in the reach than the normal Newtons, which are my all time favorite bars.

maybe I should check out some o those!

Bdaghisallo said:
http://www.cbike.com/Deda_Elementi.htm

Shimano - Profile

Clamp diameter 31.7. New bar from Deda
designed to match Shimano STI levers Brand: Deda Elementi
Model: Deda SuperNatural
Bar 31.7mm
Weight: 205 grams
Material: 7075 T6 Aluminum
Color: Black
Reach: 79.9 mm
Drop: 142 mm
Widths: 42, 44, 46 cm.

Diameter: 31.7mm
(Use with Mag00, Forza,
Einstein,Newton,
or Magic Stem)

Check out the new Deda Supernatural, the specs for which I have put in here. It is an anatomic bend designed to suit STI levers. The original deda newton anatomic bend was designed around and to suit campy ergo levers.

The reach is 79.9mm but the drop is noticeable less than any other anatomic bar that deda make, and less than the deda newton shallow.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
3T Evas

Supersonic said:

My wife had teh same issue these bars solved the problem. The reach to the levers from the drops was much much better.

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,806 Posts
More Measuring

Supersonic said:
...maybe I should check out some o those!
Just an assumption but if you have small hands are you also small in other places? If so a 42cm Deda bar may be too wide for you.

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
32and3cross said:
My wife had teh same issue these bars solved the problem. The reach to the levers from the drops was much much better.
Where did you get it? Again, they are only claiming less than a cm difference, but it may help. - TF

EDIT - What is the flair like? I see it has indentations in the front for the levers. Doesn't the bar tape just fill these in?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts