Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any suggestion for bars and stem that are light and cheap? I like the compact type with a short drop if that helps.

·
Registered
134 Posts
bar = FSA Wing Pro Compact Alloy Handlebar: Actual Weight: 256.0g $69.99
stem = Oval Concepts R700 Stem: Actual Weight: 144.0g $79.99

·
Banned
952 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
got any friends?

If you are new to cycling, perhaps you do not have any buddies that have been cycling a really long time...this would be a shame...it is too bad that cycling works this way.

As you age in the sport you will come to know lots of guys that have cycled for many years and over those years we tend to accumulate lots of decent stems in search of various things (better fit, better feel, etc.) Anyway, these types of guys can be really helpful in that they will often sell you a nice stem in the size you want for far less than MSRP (or loan you a few so you can play around with your bike fit).

I say it is a shame because new cyclists tend to want stuff like this, but have tight budgets (and sometimes lack the info necessary to select the correct size/fit with their one shot at buying a stem), older cyclists have all this stuff laying around from when they failed to buy the correct part for their needs.

I suggest you look around for one of these guys...chances are you will get a lot higher quality stuff for that budget...

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
Syntace F99 Stem $75 avg 100g

KCNC Scandium bars $100 avg 215g

·
Registered
218 Posts
ebay is your friend

I purchased my ritchey WCS ba on ebay used 2 years ago for $18 shipped at the time seemed a lot of people were dumping nice al bars to upgrade to carbon. Token carbon stem new on ebay for 42 shipped.

·
Registered
296 Posts
simonton said:
I purchased my ritchey WCS ba on ebay used 2 years ago for $18 shipped at the time seemed a lot of people were dumping nice al bars to upgrade to carbon. Token carbon stem new on ebay for 42 shipped.
You can get some nicely priced stuff from the bay.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
jlandry said:
I've had great luck with Performance Bike's house brand "Sette" products.
I have a Road Bar and Seat post. I like.
Cost-effective, strong and light. Some are not into it because of the lack of bling.
Sette is PricePoint's house name.

·
Registered
5 Posts
my riding buddy swears by his salsa poco's. i found some real nice ritchey wcs bars on the bay for 89.99, you guys think i should jump on them? better than the poco's? 235 for the 44 WCS versus the poco's 26cm at 220. im still looking for the real weight for each additional cm

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.