Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, the weather is starting to get better here, although we are still battling snow showers, rain, and hail on a near-daily basis. I started training 5 weeks ago (the weather didn't permit it before that time) and have logged 48 hours in that 5-week period. I have also done 2 50+mile races (Cat3) and finished with the bunch (or what was left of it).

Question is: what is considered proper base mileage before the hard training and racing begins? Most of the races around here that I would like to do well in are held in May/June (which is silly, as the weather doesn't come around until later, but late summer/fall is cyclocross season around here). Unfortunately, the weather doesn't cooperate for us living at 4200 feet in Oregon during the winter: you just can't train and not crash on ice/snow. The race schedule is set up for riders living in the Willamette Valley (where the weather is mild and you can ride if you have wet-weather gear).

Ideally, what should I be doing training-wise in early spring (now)? I can currently ride about 12-14 hours/week. Is it too much to start racing at this point and participating in fast training rides? Should I continue to get 250+ miles/week on base mileage only, and save the faster riding for next month? I feel that if I do that, fitness may not come along until the end of the season in July/August.

·
Registered
19 Posts
So you are a Cat 3 in the lead pack and you are doing 12- 14 hours of riding per week w/ 250 miles and w/ seriuous hills....I think you have these questions already answered but are just beating your chest, but maybe I am just jealous.

Nate

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
paco_finn said:
So you are a Cat 3 in the lead pack and you are doing 12- 14 hours of riding per week w/ 250 miles and w/ seriuous hills....I think you have these questions already answered but are just beating your chest, but maybe I am just jealous.

Nate
Sorry for the confusion:rolleyes: , this was/is a serious question. I see references all the time to "base mileage" yet starting to ride in March after the snow melts won't exactly make me fit in May. I am trying to figure out how to proceed: how long to ride easy and build mileage, when to start racing and riding hard on a consistent basis. Last year, I got an even later start (April) and started riding hard and racing straight off, which put me in the tank by June. I would like to get a base this time around: I know from my running days that a "base" would be 2 months of solid mileage with only tempo runs to break up the slow pace.

FWIW, I was anhilliated on the finishing hill last weekend and finished about 25th (back of the main bunch) so I don't see any reason to go around "beating my chest" just yet.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts