Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not new to riding or running but really have not improved my performance so I suspect I need to go back and do base training. I am 46 and have ran casually or ridden bikes since I was 18 but never seriousely - I have fun and enjoy myself. Generally I ride about 4 times a week for an hour with a heart rate of 75-80% with a day an hour of interval training mixed in each week. Interestingly my average speed is around 13 mph and has been for a couple years. I suspect I need to do some base training. A review of literature says my heart rate should be anywhere from 60%-80%. When I go at 60% I tend to push my big ring at a slow cadence to maintain a heart rate of 120 or 70%. Last winter I did alort of interval work and really did not improve significantly however I could maintain HR of 150 or 86% for an hour and can still come close to that but I am not much faster about 15mph average speed. My questions are:
1) What is right 60% HR 104 or 80% HR 139 as that is a big range.
2) What rings and how fast a cadence? Are big rings ok for base training?
3) How long - some literature suggests 80% for an hour is optimum. Some literature suggests 2-3 hours at 60%. I only have 2-3 hours once a week on weekends and have been doing this. During the work week I have an hour a day. I am not willing to change as I suspect more than 8 hours a week and I would not be happy.
4) Do I need the 60-75% range to build mitochondria or will 80% HR for an hour do the same?
5) What have I been doing wrong? Do I need to slow down to go fast?

I would really like to hear some informed views on this and perhaps multiweek training program suggestion (8 hours a week on bike please).
Thanks

·
gastarbeiter
1,513 Posts
i can't give you answers for everything, but i can tell you that you should stick with your 39, or 42 if that's the case, for your base mileage. if you want to develop leg speed/high cadence, then stay away from the big ring for awhile.

i'm kind of old school, and think that the big ring shouldn't be used until spring.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts