Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am going on my first loaded tour in august and have some basic logistical questions.

1) cheapest way to get bike from SF to Edmonton Canada.

--Has anyone shipped a bike into canada? I am hearing pretty expensive estimates for this.

If shipping is very expensive, I'll check the bike on the flight (will be pricy)

2) what do I do with my bike box? I am doing a point-to-point trip, flying out of a different destination.

--I can use a cardboard box, toss it in edmonton and get a new one at the end destination

--I have a conventional hardcase bike box. Has anyone had experience shipping this type of box ahead to another destination. Any suggestions on where to ship to and how to find someone to receive/store the box?

Any thoughts on which of these options is preferable???

3) what do you do with your airplane luggage? I assume I need some sort of duffel bag to check my copious loaded touring luggage-- panniers, sleeping bags, etc. What do you do with the duffel bag? Ship it ahead, and if so any tips on who to find to receive/store it? Or toss it and buy a new one at the end destination.

Thanks for any help with these basic questions.
NM

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hello,

You might want to try contacting local bike shops in your destinations. The shops should be able to provide packing boxes (they get one with every new bike) as well as a place to ship it to/from as well as short term storage. You can also bulk ship some of your touring gear with the bike.

Mark

NadiaMac said:
Hi, I am going on my first loaded tour in august and have some basic logistical questions.

1) cheapest way to get bike from SF to Edmonton Canada.

--Has anyone shipped a bike into canada? I am hearing pretty expensive estimates for this.

If shipping is very expensive, I'll check the bike on the flight (will be pricy)

2) what do I do with my bike box? I am doing a point-to-point trip, flying out of a different destination.

--I can use a cardboard box, toss it in edmonton and get a new one at the end destination

--I have a conventional hardcase bike box. Has anyone had experience shipping this type of box ahead to another destination. Any suggestions on where to ship to and how to find someone to receive/store the box?

Any thoughts on which of these options is preferable???

3) what do you do with your airplane luggage? I assume I need some sort of duffel bag to check my copious loaded touring luggage-- panniers, sleeping bags, etc. What do you do with the duffel bag? Ship it ahead, and if so any tips on who to find to receive/store it? Or toss it and buy a new one at the end destination.

Thanks for any help with these basic questions.
NM

·
Registered
28 Posts
It depends on the shop. At my local shop it runs about $50 for bike prep/shipping (15-20 for packing/the rest for shipping) and about $30 for recieveing and assembly. Note that you usally need to allow for about 2 weeks shipping time if you use cheaper ground freight.

NadiaMac said:
Thanks Mark.
Is it customary for the shops to charge for receiving/storing bikes, and if so, what's a typical charge in your experience.
thanks for info!

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
I have a hard case & have both shipped it ahead, and checked on the same flight. The last time I did this was the mid 90s. The price was about the same for shipping or taking, which at that time was around $110.00. I have no idea what it might be now. BTW, that was shipping it UPS ground.

·
Premium Member
20,696 Posts
Going across an international border, you'd be much better off checking the bike as luggage... The customs process is MUCH easier when the bike is with you

When you ship a bike, customs will want to charge you taxes and duty because they don't know that the bike is only a temporary import.... you can prove it but it's a big pain

I suggest, pay the excess luggage fee. It will be cheaper and less of a hassle

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Right, good point.

Do you think this is an issue if I ship the bike back to the US from canada? I guess it would be.

I'm going to be using a cardboard bike box on the flight, as my tour is point to point and I don't want to deal with the hard case. Anyone have any experience with how the TSA/airport security deals with cardboard boxes? I worry that they will rip it open to inspect and won't reclose/tape it properly
thx forinfo

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
I had no worries the last time I flew with a cardboard boxed bike.

I believe they gave me $500 insurance. I paid extra for the other $4500.
they put so many fragile and insured stickers on the box it was orange.

I watch through the window and it was the last item that went on. Meaning it was on top.

My suggestion would be insure you bike to the hilt.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.