Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

· Registered
3,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I never bought that argument myself, domination like we saw today is fascinating to me, but I wonder how many people who for years claimed that Lance was bad for the Tour, would argue that Basso is bad for Giro?

· Banned
608 Posts
55x11 said:
I never bought that argument myself, domination like we saw today is fascinating to me, but I wonder how many people who for years claimed that Lance was bad for the Tour, would argue that Basso is bad for Giro?
It is bad for the Giro. For many years now the Giro has been very competitive and fun to watch. This year how Ullrich is doing is more interesting than what is happening to the top spot in the GC. There is nothing fascinating about already knowing the outcome.

· wheel to wheel
2,236 Posts
Basso = Boring Giro? No.

What IS boring is hearing Cunego, Simoni, Savoldelli, etc. say every day that they "just didn't expect Basso to be this strong right now"....

What exactly did they expect???? :confused: :mad: :rolleyes:

In terms of personality, though, I think Basso's choir-boy schtick is wearing a bit thin...the fact that every road is lined with Pantani signs indicates how much real personalities are few and far between these days....like, say, for the last 7 years or so. Thanks, Lance :rolleyes:

· Genitive Declensioner
12,158 Posts
cadence90 said:
In terms of personality, though, I think Basso's choir-boy schtick is wearing a bit thin...the fact that every road is lined with Pantani signs indicates how much real personalities are few and far between these days....like, say, for the last 7 years or so. Thanks, Lance :rolleyes:

yup, everyone likes a dead doper.......

· wheel to wheel
2,236 Posts
svend said:
Oh, where's the forgiveness, where's the Humanity? :p

No, but people do appreciate some panache.
It's nice when cyclists don't appear as stiff as their cardboard cutout at Eurobike, and talk like them too.

· Not Banned
49,249 Posts
Giro has been competitive

because it has not had the best of the best. Basso's dominance shows this. Strong TdF contenders if they focus and stay healthy for the Giro deliver absolute spankings. I don't find it boring to watch Ivan spin easily away from the best who are on the rivet. Today was Simoni's day, his home turf, the hills lined with fans and he was crushed.
I don't mind Basso's schoolboy gig. I like his bliss face, that slight grin, like his suffering has put him on a level of higher consciousness, maybe he can hear the angels,including his mom cheering him along. Yes, he lacks the personality of Pantani, he doesn't refer to himslef in the 3rd person but he also lacks the baggage.

· Genitive Declensioner
12,158 Posts
atpjunkie said:
Yes, he lacks the personality of Pantani, he doesn't refer to himslef in the 3rd person but he also lacks the baggage.
Sorry, I thought Pantani was a tool, great rider, but a tool none the less.......one of the funnier comments LA ever made was referring to Pantani and his self given nickname....

What this Giro shows is that when the big guns come to play the pretenders are exposed very very quickly......still, three brutal stages to go and someone should light it up but I think that someone may be Basso again, he's riding for his mother and that is a motivator that no one else can touch......

· Genitive Declensioner
12,158 Posts

· wheel to wheel
2,236 Posts
il sogno said:
What? You guys aren't keeping up with the hot competition going on for the 110 Gazzetta classification? Patrick Calcagni is only 1 point ahead of Mickael Delage! ;)
I would be, but I'm much too preoccupied with following "Tommy D's" rise to the top of the cycling pantheon. Meteoric, it is.

Just like those in the Arizona desert.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

How do you say, "I'm fat, overweight, out of shape, at the end of the rope, a washed-up has-been, dreaming of strudel...and I still beat you by 2 minutes up the Bondone!" in German?

· It's in the game!
2,060 Posts
Allergies...are boring me

I have had enough of the allergy excuse. I have allergies and excercise induced asthma but they don't affect me while I am on my bike when the capillaries and bronchial passages in my lungs are wide open.

· Resident Dutchbag
11,941 Posts
svend said:
Technically he is as much as a doper as lance Armstrong is, nothing was ever proven. :aureola:

· Genitive Declensioner
12,158 Posts
Einstruzende said:
Well Pantani was removed from the Giro in 99...
details......

· Resident Dutchbag
11,941 Posts
svend said:
details......
A 50+ hemo, something that happens a lot and is usually called "not passing the health test".

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.