Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's Ivan in the pink jersey, no pink bike, pink helmet or shoes, just like it should be. I'm so tired of the cricket with his gold saddle, gold shoes, gold frame etc. So you won an Olympic gold medal, get over it, it's a wonder he does not wear the medal around his neck.4 years of the junk!

·
Genitive Declensioner
12,158 Posts
wheel_suker said:
There's Ivan in the pink jersey, no pink bike, pink helmet or shoes, just like it should be. I'm so tired of the cricket with his gold saddle, gold shoes, gold frame etc. So you won an Olympic gold medal, get over it, it's a wonder he does not wear the medal around his neck.4 years of the junk!
I thought Cippo was funny with all his theatrical BS......but I agree, nice to see some class

·
Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
Lots of hatin' going on in here. How many have won an Olympic gold medal in road cycling? If you did, would you consider it the highlight of your career? (Assuming you hadn't won multiple GTs or WCs)

I say let him have his glory. There's what, 3 of those medals around? Pretty goddamn rare...

·
Genitive Declensioner
12,158 Posts
Einstruzende said:
Lots of hatin' going on in here. How many have won an Olympic gold medal in road cycling? If you did, would you consider it the highlight of your career? (Assuming you hadn't won multiple GTs or WCs)

I say let him have his glory. There's what, 3 of those medals around? Pretty goddamn rare...

He's Over the top....only Cippo could get away with that, glad he got pipped due to his premature ejaculation......as road cyclists do not view the olympics as the pinnacle of the sport, gold is nice but nowhere near a win in a GT or classic.......

·
Premium Member
15,996 Posts
From Scott Sunderland's Giro diary on Cyclingnews.com: " Overall, Ivan's professionalism and his dedication to training and racing is something I have seen in very few other riders ... there's no show about him either. He was offered a pink helmet the other day, and he said, 'No, that's not me.'"

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Argentius said:
From Scott Sunderland's Giro diary on Cyclingnews.com: " Overall, Ivan's professionalism and his dedication to training and racing is something I have seen in very few other riders ... there's no show about him either. He was offered a pink helmet the other day, and he said, 'No, that's not me.'"
Was it a Bell pink helmet?

·
wheel to wheel
2,236 Posts
Yes. Basso is a very classy rider, and his decorum is notable. Thank god for no pink shorts!

On the other hand I don't begrudge Bettini's attire, he's far more extroverted, seems like a great guy, is very funny, and, I think, justifiably proud. I don't quite understand the criticism: no one seems to complain about all the national champs or worlds stripes being worn. At least Bettini isn't wearing a gold jersey....

Now, as far as Simoni's bike is concerned...no comment....:eek:

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,364 Posts
I love Simoni's bike. Loads of personality. The Leaning Tower of Pisa on the seat tube is a complete kick. Bettini's gold helmet, handlebar tape and saddle, by contrast, seems kind of pasted on and screwy, but the guy himself adds a lot to the sport. He's a real gamer.

·
Do not touch the trim.
2,383 Posts
wheel_suker said:
Yep, reminds me of American football player Barry Sanders, arguably the best running back ever. When asked why he didn't perform some elaborate end zone dance when he scored (he just set the ball down) he said "I'm supposed to score touchdowns, it's my job".

·
limit screwed
807 Posts
Wow. That bike goes way past bad taste, and all the way 'round again to "good". That is the pimpinest I've ever seen. Xzibit has nothing on Gibo.

·
wheel to wheel
2,236 Posts
Mapei Roida said:
I love Simoni's bike. Loads of personality. The Leaning Tower of Pisa on the seat tube is a complete kick.
MaestroXC said:
Wow. That bike goes way past bad taste, and all the way 'round again to "good". That is the pimpinest I've ever seen. Xzibit has nothing on Gibo.
Well, you two can follow the debate/poll/more pix here. The "no's" are leading, but de gustibus non disputandum est and all that.

Besides the sickly ugly color clash; his name spelled out completely; his photo; his birthdate in bar code;...apparently the Leaning Tower of Pisa is on there simply because it's the same angle (73) as the seat tube. :confused:

Now, what that has to do with a tough lad from Palù di Giovo, provincia diTrento, is way beyond me.

But it's nonetheless hideous IMO. Or maybe it's just missing his 2003 prediction that he would kill Armstrong in the mountains, to top it all off. :D

·
Registered
602 Posts
no hating here

Einstruzende said:

I find an olympic gold or a world championship an incredible feat for a pro and he should celebrate his win after the fact with a little flair. But a whole kit? Gold or rainbow everywhere is just over the top. That is what the OP was intending I believe.

In defense of Bettini and others with excess 'flair', sponsors may have a bit to say about what their riders wear in races. Gold shoes would be a much brighter billboard than black or grey.

·
Registered
139 Posts
svend said:
as road cyclists do not view the olympics as the pinnacle of the sport, gold is nice but nowhere near a win in a GT or classic.......
Spoken like a true bike snob. If an American won gold I sure as he!! would want him to sport the gold anytime he could. I know the olympics RR doesnt compare to other races or GT's but he will never be a team leader never take any major wins let him enjoy his small victory.

·
Not Banned
49,249 Posts
What?

Vel07 said:
Spoken like a true bike snob. If an American won gold I sure as he!! would want him to sport the gold anytime he could. I know the olympics RR doesnt compare to other races or GT's but he will never be a team leader never take any major wins let him enjoy his small victory.
Bettini has been a team leader. He was the frickin QS leader this season in the Ardennes. He was the leader last autumn for the fall classics wjhich he won Giro de Lombardia. Guy is a multitime World Cup champ with a load of classics under his belt. He's gonna ride for another team next year so he doesn't have to share leadership with Boonen and Pozzato.

so here I'll give you a quick recap of Bettini's Big wins
2000 Liege Bastogne Liege, 1 stage TdF
2001 Championship of Zurich
2002 Liege Bastogne Liege , World Cup Overall winner
2003 Milan San Remo, HEW Classic,San Sebastian Classic, World Cup Overall winner
2004 Tirreno Adriatico, World Cup Overall winner, Olympic Road Champion
2005 Championship of Zurich, Giro d Lombardia, points Competion (Ciclamina Jersey) Giro D Italia, 1 Stage Giro, 1 Stage Vuelta

let this guy have his small victory? You need to bone up on your cycling. For a rider of his Palmares it's a bit 'over the top'.

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
Basso does seem like a real class act.

Bettini (well aside from taking down Baden Cooke last year in the sprint) does too - his whole outfit might be a little over the top, a little gaudy, but so what, is it any worse than some of the World Champion outfits that people have donned lately?

Given that professionals have only been allowed in the Olympic road races since 1992 or 1996, there have only been a few, but why not let them put a gold band on their sleeves or something?

Cipo was Cipo, what else can you say? Personally I got a kick out most of his hijinks.

Gibo - well, what can you say - he has had outrageous paint jobs before - remember the spider one from a few years ago.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Yeah right

Do some research he has 2 classics wins and one of the hardest ones.

svend said:
He's Over the top....only Cippo could get away with that, glad he got pipped due to his premature ejaculation......as road cyclists do not view the olympics as the pinnacle of the sport, gold is nice but nowhere near a win in a GT or classic.......

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.