Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.procycling.com/news.aspx?ID=2132

24/05/2006
The fallout from the doping investigation ongoing in Spain has reached the very top of the Giro, where race leader Ivan Basso has denied having any link to a doctors connected to Manolo Saiz.

PIC BY TDWSPORT.COM

Giro leader Ivan Basso has denied having any link with doctors connected to Liberty Seguros team boss Manolo Saiz. Reports in the Spanish press on Tuesday morning said that Basso had been working with former ONCE doctor Eufemiano Fuentes, one of five people detained by Spanish police as part of a doping inquiry on Tuesday along with Saiz.

Speaking before the start of the Giro’s 17th stage, Basso said of Saiz: “We are good friends. But it’s too much to say, without any proof, that doctors within his circle have been involved in my preparation.”

Fuentes is reported to be close to Italian training consultant Luigi Cecchini, who has worked with Basso. Basso said of Cecchini: “He is my compatriot and he’s a great guy. But I can’t say any more about him.”

·
Banned
3,317 Posts
That may be one of the weakest denials I've ever heard. I'm starting to worry about Basso.
If he and/or Ullrich are implicated and banned, this will really hurt the sport.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I really like Basso, and obviously hope he's not implicated; keep in mind that his statement was translated from Italian, and taken out of context, so I wouldn't read too much into it.

My feeling is that the peloton is taking wait-and-see approach; if I've understood correctly, the alleged infractions could go back years. Pro cycling is a very interconnected and incestuous business, and riders and coaches change teams frequently; it's possible that virtually all the ProTour teams could have riders or coaches implicated, at least by association (i.e. riders who used to ride for Saiz, or who used to ride for teams that used to use these doctors, or who used to be teammates with people implicated, etc.) I'm trying not to jump to conclusions here, but this is definately going to further tarnish the sport....

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Several days ago in an interview Basso made a point of castigating the journalists for printing that Cecchini was his preparatore. He said their relationship had been decreasing since joining CSC and was officially ended last summer, and that Riis was now his only trainer.

Subsequent events make the timing of that statement rather interesting. I hope neither Basso nor Ullrich get caught up in this but wouldn't be at all surprised. Regardless of whom gets caught if they go after even a fraction of those 200 riders it will effectively kill the sport.

But OLN would be quite happy to be relieved of the terrible burden of interrupting their BBQ bull rides to show 10 minutes of non-motorized cycling in an hour.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
weiwentg said:
http://www.procycling.com/news.aspx?ID=2152

on the tape, Saiz asked Fuentes if he was taking "it" (presumably blood) to Basso too.
According to the story, Fuentes did not respond, and Saiz is not Basso's DS, so while Basso may very well be doping, this particular exchange adds very little to the case against him.

I'm inclined to believe everybody in the peloton is doping, but I also think we should insist on real evidence. The only thing this proves is that Saiz is a curious guy.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Other reports have said that Fuentes said "no" in response, so the journalists are up to their usual high standards for accuracy. But based on the two versions it may be safe to assume he at least didn't say yes.

Ullrich was supposed to have come up somewhere in the investigation but unlike Basso I haven't seen any more reported about where or how.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.