Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Cat 6
Joined
·
4,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
More riders suspended: Basso and Mancebo out
The various teams taking part in the Tour de France have now suspended all of their riders implicated in the Operacion Puerto affair, including Ivan Basso and Francisco Mancebo. After Jan Ullrich and Oscar Sevilla were taken out this morning by T-Mobile, the teams are now pulling their other riders out. The pressure from the organisers, the UCI, the sponsors, and the non-affected teams has been intense.

ASO public relations man Bernard Hinault told radio RTL that he expects 15-20 riders to be ejected before the day is out. The UCI will then ask the national cycling federations to start disciplinary proceedings against the riders named in the Spanish network.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2006/jun06/jun30news3
 

·
I heart team Zissou!
Joined
·
2,954 Posts
chuckice said:
More riders suspended: Basso and Mancebo out
The various teams taking part in the Tour de France have now suspended all of their riders implicated in the Operacion Puerto affair, including Ivan Basso and Francisco Mancebo. After Jan Ullrich and Oscar Sevilla were taken out this morning by T-Mobile, the teams are now pulling their other riders out. The pressure from the organisers, the UCI, the sponsors, and the non-affected teams has been intense.

ASO public relations man Bernard Hinault told radio RTL that he expects 15-20 riders to be ejected before the day is out. The UCI will then ask the national cycling federations to start disciplinary proceedings against the riders named in the Spanish network.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2006/jun06/jun30news3
The Fat lady has sung! I will be on the TDF podium this year! wooo hoooo!
 

·
funct
Joined
·
259 Posts
filtersweep said:
Can you spell FIASCO?

Already I have completely lost interest in the tour...

It is interesting how in europe, doping is handled by police. In the US, it is largely decriminalized, unless it involves controlled substances.

BALCO
FIASCO
I can smell a haiku in the works

Are you saying the US is more 'blind eye' than Spain?
:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
66 Posts
Throwing out Ullrich, Basso, and Vino is basically like throwing out 3 lance armstrong's in my opinion. Ill bet the tour wont even start this year due to rider protests, and most likely expect riots across france today. Now doesnt this make you lose some credibility in Lance saying he's innocent as well?
 

·
Every little counts...
Joined
·
3,924 Posts
This is going to be a great tour! It is an opportunity to start over, showcase new talent.

But who is really clean? Surely this isn't the only operation of its kind? Although it is wide ranging with the best riders from Italy, Germany, Switzerland participating.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
650 Posts
Cadel the first mtb rider to win the tour and even better hes and aussie, maybe floyd will get close but hes a mtber too, we will rule the world
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Not worth the time

After the fallout I guess I won't be watching the tour. How can you have a Tour de France after removing the top contenders? I am not saying that I want dopers to ride but it seems it's so widespread that you don't know who was doing what. let's hope the rest of the riders protest and refuse to ride.
 

·
ride-a-holic
Joined
·
288 Posts
It seems they have to have..

something other that hear-say. I don't see how the could throw them out unless if the evidence is not totaly damning. There could be too much backlash if that was not the case.
 

·
Rock the Mullet!
Joined
·
305 Posts
Now there's a good idea.....

goshawk1 said:
After the fallout I guess I won't be watching the tour. How can you have a Tour de France after removing the top contenders? I am not saying that I want dopers to ride but it seems it's so widespread that you don't know who was doing what. let's hope the rest of the riders protest and refuse to ride.
Just because they remove a couple of top riders, you suddenly lose interest. If you don't watch, it's no big deal the real cycling fans will continue to support the sport and watch.:rolleyes: I find it ridiculous that you want the other riders to protest. That is the last thing the riders should do. At least in Ullrich's case, his sponsors demanded the team pull him, not ASO. There is no reason to protest his removal. It was an internal decision on T-Mobile's part. I haven't read whether Basso's removal was an internal decision or an ASO decision so I can't speak to that circumstance.
This has the potential to be the most exciting TdF in years. This is the first Tour since 98that a former winner isn't riding. It doesn't get any more wide open than this. Riders will be riding their guts out to win this thing now. We may see a whole peloton of Thomas Voeklers riding way beyond their norm because of these extraordinary circumstances. We may just see the birth of the next generation of greats in this Tour.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Very Sad

I'm personally disappointed that I won't get to see Jan and Ivan duke it out.
The tour WILL start. I bet it will be quite interesting even.
I know folks are saying that it's not fair that Jan and Ivan and others are being pulled out w/o testing positive. I can only imagine that the evidence must be substantial for thier own teams to pull them. (This isn't ASO banning them).
If I was a rider that wasn't doping, I'd be thrilled. Now maybe I can believe it's possible to succeed w/o the drugs.
Just my 2 cents.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
I agree with Pb, this is going to make for an exciting, wide open tour. While I was looking forward to seeing Jan and Basso battling it out, I am at least as excited about seeing a wider field with legitimate GC hopes battling it out. This is going to be a great tour. It's miserable that this came to light at the last minute, but I'm just as excited to watch the tour now as I was before...can't wait to see things get rolling and watch new stars rise to the occasion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
Spunout said:
This is going to be a great tour! It is an opportunity to start over, showcase new talent.

But who is really clean? Surely this isn't the only operation of its kind? Although it is wide ranging with the best riders from Italy, Germany, Switzerland participating.
I tend to agree with Spunout. I am hoping there will far more attacks, riders coming out of the wood work maybe someone like a DZ placing high. This doesnt bother me too much at all. Hopefully this will also give Americans more exposure.
 

·
Cannot bench own weight
Joined
·
4,298 Posts
It'll be interesting to be sure, but lets be honest here...Basso and Ullrich were just unlucky enough to be caught. You can't tell me that folks like Armstrong are so great physically that can can beat doped up Basso and Ullrich while remaining clean.

If it wasn't for this Operation Puerto, Basso, Ullrich (and the 50+ others) would continue to test clean...

Everyone of these top contenders are most likely doping.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,671 Posts
T-MObile was given evidence that they said was flatly impossible to reconcile with Ullrich's claim of innocence, so clearly they have matched blood samples. These moves to exclude the top contenders is what is needed in the fight against doping-it's one thing to kick out a water bottle carrier, but team leaders making big bucks is another thing. Personally, I think it's going to make for an especially exciting tour-look how many guys will think they can win it, none really a proven tour rider in terms of the consistency across 3 weeks-Floyd's gonna win...
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,302 Posts
hrspear said:
I agree with Pb, this is going to make for an exciting, wide open tour. While I was looking forward to seeing Jan and Basso battling it out, I am at least as excited about seeing a wider field with legitimate GC hopes battling it out. This is going to be a great tour. It's miserable that this came to light at the last minute, but I'm just as excited to watch the tour now as I was before...can't wait to see things get rolling and watch new stars rise to the occasion.
Christ we could see an all american podium now. You really want to see some euro heads explode?
 
1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top