Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Devoid of all flim-flam
7,364 Posts
It's quite likely that in a few years folks will actually put Basso above Pantani in the Cycling Pantheon. The Silent Assassin has a lot of potential wins in him, and he's got the personality to be able to stay at the top of the sport for a long time. When it comes to sheer charisma and flair for the dramatic, though, Pantani will probably be unmatched in this generation. Pantani may have been nuts, and he may be a buffoon in many people's eyes, but the guy was absolutely compelling. Just like Kurt Cobain, there's a reason why he remains a major topic of discussion.

· Registered
11,561 Posts
fouadaswad said:
Hello

Do the plebs think Basso is up there in the league of MArco Pantani?
No. Pantani was a climber with panache. When it went uphill you knew he was going to attack at some point. Basso is boring by comparison. He rides much more conservatively probably because he can and still win.

· Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
Vel07 said:
My cycling knowledge is not the greatest. But if I had to make a comparison I would compare Vino long before Basso. Inless you are looking for an Italian.
Vino isn't a pure climber.

Simoni has a lot of similar qualities to Pantani, and I think that's a more apt comparison. The problem is that Simoni is figuratively over the hill (or fast approaching the summit), and we need a younger rider to make the comparison.

I think it would be great for Basso to win the Tour, as that would bookend Lance's victories with Giro-Tour doubles, proving that perhaps that winning multiple GTs isn't as impossible as some would have you believe.

· Burning Fists of Love
6,899 Posts
nope

There is no comparison. Marco could fly when the grades got steep. Basso put in calculated attacks and then waits. Marco was too arrogant to do that because, IMO, he was a pure climbver who knew that yes, in his day he was the best at the climbs. Despite the fact that he was probably blood doped to the point where he would have had to have on Mars to get the crit levels he did, hey who cares......:thumbsup:

· It's in the game!
2,060 Posts
Racing is different now

ttug said:
There is no comparison. Marco could fly when the grades got steep. Basso put in calculated attacks and then waits. Marco was too arrogant to do that because, IMO, he was a pure climbver who knew that yes, in his day he was the best at the climbs. Despite the fact that he was probably blood doped to the point where he would have had to have on Mars to get the crit levels he did, hey who cares......:thumbsup:
The pace is higher preceding the climbs now to weaken the opponents which prevents the solo attacks that made Pantani famous. So you can't compare the two.

· Genitive Declensioner
12,158 Posts
dagger said:
The pace is higher preceding the climbs now to weaken the opponents which prevents the solo attacks that made Pantani famous. So you can't compare the two.
Bingo. Pantani as exciting as he was would be shellacked before the big climbs in todays tours. Witness the nullification of all the 'pure' climbers as of late........different game today.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.