Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Good Person
Joined
·
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What happened to Basso?
 

·
Descender
Joined
·
1,940 Posts
I think we will see a different Basso in the Giro or the Tour - Basso, Lance et al are using the TOC as a tune up.

I also think Lance is supporting Levi and trading favors for the tour.

Basso may come out strong in the Giro.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
150 Posts
pdh777 said:
I think we will see a different Basso in the Giro or the Tour - Basso, Lance et al are using the TOC as a tune up.

I also think Lance is supporting Levi and trading favors for the tour.
don't think they'll both be protecting contador?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
832 Posts
doctor855 said:
don't think they'll both be protecting contador?
Nope, I don't either. Levi is riding amazing right now and it's apparent that he's in prime condition to win the Tour by winning the ITT's hands down, and staying in the hunt on the climbs. Johann and Astana simply cannot continue to pretend that there won't be a conflict this summer, and that they'll be singing Kumbaya at the training table.

Contador is watching the ToC results carefully from Portugal, I'm sure, hoping to show something there in his ITT coming up.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
19,518 Posts
As per the announcer at the starting line at Solvang today, Basso had an accident while on his warm up ride this morning. He could not start the race.
 

·
Impulse Athletic Coaching
Joined
·
5,576 Posts
The more I think about it, the less I see Lance wanting to give Contador the Tour.

I hope he wins the Giro so he will feel a little less bad about giving AC the Tour. His form is ahead of basso and I still think basso will win the Giro...

Poor Levi. He should win it for the hell of it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
I Expect Contador to Emerge on Top

Lance, Contador and Levi are all saying the right things about the Tour now in February, but I expect it to be a real dog fight in July. It will require all of Bruyneel's skills to manage the situation.

I think in the end, Contador will shine on the big climbs and create a sufficient time gap to emerge the leader. The final ITT will be very interesting if 2 or more Astana riders are near the lead with the possibility of the lead changing hands.

If anybody ever earned the right to be the team leader, Contador has. I doubt if ever before a star rider, still in his prime, has ever been denied the outright Tour leadership having won the last 3 GTs he entered.

Remember, Contador has already been robbed of Tour starts in 2006 and 2008. I suspect he'd have at least 2 Tour wins by now had he been allowed to participate in those years.

I'd be interested to hear any opinions on how a "shared" leadership between Lance and Contador would work. Does the team protect both of them equally? CAN they effectively do that? Wouldn't one of the have to work for the other at times?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
930 Posts
Contador already stated earlier this month that he's very happy LA being on the team after all. Translation of the article sans the Levi TOC stuff: If LA wants to make a fool of himself, then so be it. After seeing him train for a few weeks I know he's in no shape to win the TDF.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
133 Posts
iliveonnitro said:
The more I think about it, the less I see Lance wanting to give Contador the Tour.

I hope he wins the Giro so he will feel a little less bad about giving AC the Tour. His form is ahead of basso and I still think basso will win the Giro...

Poor Levi. He should win it for the hell of it.
You really think LL will keep this form for the next 4 months? he's been training to peak for this race all winter.

Basso is aiming for the Tour, I think, as is AC.

I don't think LA will/can win the Tour. I don't think he has the explosiveness to stay with Contador. having said that, there is no way Bruyneel is going to hold him back if he has the yellow jersey going into the mountains.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,359 Posts
It's likely not Basso's mind that would need changing. It would be more up to ASO.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,061 Posts
moonmoth said:
Contador is watching the ToC results carefully from Portugal, I'm sure, hoping to show something there in his ITT coming up.
Because we all know the February races are determining the roosters in July :rolleyes:
Not that Contador has much to fear though, considering his TT today.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
832 Posts
moonmoth said:
Contador is watching the ToC results carefully from Portugal, I'm sure, hoping to show something there in his ITT coming up.
And that he did. AC smoked the ITT in Algarve ITT, winning it easily by 33 seconds over #2, Chavanel, Astana is red-hot on two continents right now.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
19,518 Posts
peter1 said:
You really think LL will keep this form for the next 4 months? he's been training to peak for this race all winter.

Basso is aiming for the Tour, I think, as is AC.

I don't think LA will/can win the Tour. I don't think he has the explosiveness to stay with Contador. having said that, there is no way Bruyneel is going to hold him back if he has the yellow jersey going into the mountains.
I don't Lance is going to be able to win either the Giro or the Tour. I think he's really been struggling this past week in the TOC.
 

·
Good Person
Joined
·
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The GC for the TDF this year is a total mess. I don't think that any of us can make any kind of a reliable prediction right now; there are too many variables. Lance, Levi, Alberto, Carlos, Cadel, Ivan, Christian, who knows? The competition will be fierce this year. I looked at the course for the TDF this year and it looks like an interesting one. I think this tour is going to favor an aggressive rider as opposed to tours in the past where a contender (Cadel) could sit in the pack and strategically work their way onto the podium by doing everything just good enough. Maybe we'll get a surprise this year from one of the more aggressive riders that aren't usually GC contenders (Hincapie, Jens).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,061 Posts
thechriswebb said:
Maybe we'll get a surprise this year from one of the more aggressive riders that aren't usually GC contenders (Hincapie, Jens).
and maybe scarlett johanson will stop by my place for a quickie today.
 

·
Good Person
Joined
·
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
den bakker said:
and maybe scarlett johanson will stop by my place for a quickie today.
I know it's unlikely; Just wishful thinking. I like to see a good upset every now and then. It keeps things more interesting......just my opinion.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top