Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So... I got a LED light from nightlightning.nz in the fall. I'd been using an 8cell LiIon pack I got from batteryspace.com

This weekend, I came home to my new condo and smelled something sweet. "Hrm... is that the new hardwood I've started laying?" Took another step inside... Then yelled at my kid to get outside and stay there. Ran through the house, grabbed a fire extinguisher, and tried to find the source of the black smoke. 10 seconds later... *POP*
My battery pack was on the kitchen counter, charging.

Thankfully, no one was hurt. But someone easily could have been. If I'd have gone to my cousin's birthday party like I'd originally planned on doing, my house would've burnt to the ground.

I've contacted batteryspace and they insist that the charger was set to the wrong voltage (I check it every time i plug the battery in. AND it's still set to 16.8V like it always is). And they say that the pack is out of the 3 month warranty. Basically "Wow. That sucks. Sorry."

This is a warning to you guys that're starting to look into lights... avoid these batteries. Great prices. Crappy support. And explosive results.

Here's a few pictures....

This is the cabinet directly under the spot on the counter where the pack was charging. Best I can tell, the pack went BOOM then swung around on its cord and impacted the cabinet.

This is the wall 20 feet away

This is directly under the spot on the green wall (20 feet away from the *pop*) that's at head level. I moved the battery can a few inches to show what was under it

Random shrapnel. I have a LOT of this... all from the battery pack. In all... one cell's can exploded (center of this pic). 6 of them blew their lids. 1 MELTED.

And this... this is what the floor looked like AFTER I cleaned up all the debris and vacuumed. There's nothing here except plywood, folks

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DrRoebuck said:
Looks like you picked the wrong week to stop drinking Dr. Pepper.

You're the third person to make some comment about my DrPepper habit.

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
Honey the meth lab exploded! :eek:

·
Call me a Fred
17,025 Posts
Did any smoke dectectors go off?

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
MikeBiker said:
I'm surprised the circuit breaker didn't cut out. That had to have spiked the current.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MikeBiker said:
The smoke detectors went off about 5 seconds AFTER the thing exploded. Smoke was already thick enough that I couldn't see the sun through the doorwall. They've all already been replaced. :/

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Batteryspace sent me another response:
Please kindly send battery pack and charger back to us for inspection, so we
+can learn something.
You will replace a new battery and charger for you after inspection , and give
+you further instruction

I wonder if they comprehend the fact that they'll be getting what looks like an intact charger and a bag full of charred bits. Cause almost nothing in the bag resembles a battery anymore.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.