Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
vegan wrench
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm moving up to the bay area this summer and am seeking some advice on the terrain up there so i can make a decision as to what tires to buy before i leave my job at a bike shop.

right now i'm looking at a pair of challenge grifos but i don't want to get them if the bay area is as rocky as it is down here in san diego. otherwise i'll probably go with vittorias.

also, does it get wet up there during cross season? will i need muds or are dry weather tires going to see me through? i guess the muds might be useful for the spring when it really does rain up there and i'm still on my cross bike even though the season's over.

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
bloodthirstylust said:
i'm moving up to the bay area this summer and am seeking some advice on the terrain up there so i can make a decision as to what tires to buy before i leave my job at a bike shop.

right now i'm looking at a pair of challenge grifos but i don't want to get them if the bay area is as rocky as it is down here in san diego. otherwise i'll probably go with vittorias.

also, does it get wet up there during cross season? will i need muds or are dry weather tires going to see me through? i guess the muds might be useful for the spring when it really does rain up there and i'm still on my cross bike even though the season's over.
Doesn't seem to be as rocky up here. At least not where I've been riding: Ft. Ord and Santa Cruz. Woody, wet, etc. but not rocky like in Sandy Eggo. Ft. Ord is sandier than SC, and similar to Sandy Eggo: loose stuff over hardpack in a lot of places. I haven't been too many other places up here to tell you about.

It was certainly wet up here this year! I don't know what it did before Feb, but it rained BUNCHES during Feb/Mar. Lots colder too! Bring warm stuff.

HTH,

M

·
Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
I recall it being dry and dusty all the way up through November. You can see it in the pictures of the CCCX series posted here: http://www.cccx.org/2005/index.shtml. Note that 12/18 was the only race with any precipitation (though it was enough for a whole season that day).

It was the same story for the Bay Area Super Prestige series, except that the season ended before the rain started.

I only raced a few times in towards the end of each series. I would not describe any of the courses I saw as rocky. Lots of hardpack.

Too bad the season didn't run through January & Febuary. Those would have been some epic races, with all the rain we got early this year.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I did pretty decent on WTB Cross Wolf's this past season and I did all of the series in the Bay Area as well as a couple races in Sacramento. I was running the Ritchey Speedmax for the 1st couple races but I always felt like I needed something with more bite and I switched to the Cross Wolf's and liked them alot. The January races were brutal with all the mud at the Santa Cruz fairgrounds

·
Registered
400 Posts
bloodthirstylust said:

Mainly hard pack, except for the Folsom course where District's was held but that wasn't really very rocky. But, the deep sand sure was painful! The East Bay course at ROTC grounds had a lot of gopher holes, which made for a bumpy ride. Maybe the Vacaville course was the roughest.
However, when I started racing cross in '97, it was total junglecross.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
The Grifos will be fine for racing around here. There are certain times where you may want to use a tougher tire (tufo, or clinchers) but many of our courses are great with the challenge tire. Get the bigger ones though, 32 at least.

·
vegan wrench
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the advise. it's nice to get an idea of what to expect.

with respect to the climate though, it does make me wish that the cross season in california was a little bit later just to take advantage of the slightly more adverse weather conditions. it will be nice to have some races in january at least though.

·
Cat 6 rider
3,119 Posts
bloodthirstylust said:

The Bay Area has all kinds of soil. Around here, in the East Bay hills, most of it is heavy clay. It's like concrete when dry, and sticks like glue when it's wet- sticks to itself as well as any part of your bike it comes into contact with. Your bike can end up gummed up with 10 pounds of clay real easy. There are also some areas of sandy soil. They can alternate in incredibly small areas. On one part of Lime Ridge half of a fire road is clay, the other half sand- I'm talking width-wise here. It makes for some interesting riding. This year was wet, but the trails usually don't become too mucky until January, and even then a few days of dry weather usually dries them out enough to ride. The heavy rains are usually gone by March.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.