Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 GT series three road bike with RPM 7420 BB (68x103) and FSA Vero compact crankset. Im wanting to try shorter cranks but am having trouble finding compatability. the bike is a nine speed and the BB is JIS taper. Im wanting to try shorter cranks as inexpensive as possible and if i have to change the BB thats no problem. I just need pointed in the correct direction as to what sizes will work.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
You mean like this?
110 mm BCD Compact Double Cranks and Cranksets for Bicycles
Comes in 170 and 165.
Or if you really want to try to go inexpensive, get these Origin 8 BMX cranks and re-use your existing rings. Less than 50 bucks.
Fixed Gear and Singlespeed Cranks and Cranksets for Bicycles from Harris Cyclery
View attachment 275954

110mm bcd square-taper cranks aren't quite an endangered species yet.

There aren't really any compatibility issues beyond the bottom bracket. 9 or 10 speed doesn't really matter for chainrings.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
that Sugino comes in 172.5, and the Origin 8 comes in 170. I'm curious why you want to try that length. Are you using 175 now? Most riders can't tell the difference with a 2.5mm change, many don't notice 5mm.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
im using 175 now and my cadence is low so i figured i would try a shorter crank and see how it feels
Hmmm. Not likely to make much -- if any -- difference, IMO. I'd suggest first trying to train yourself to spin faster. Just start using lower gears. Give it some time. It can take a while to get used to a faster spin and do it smoothly. Crank length doesn't have much impact on it, especially if you're only looking at a 2.5mm change.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.