Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Anything on 2 wheels
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I need some advice from folsk who have al onger experience with carbon than I do. Since about 1 week my BB creaks when I'm standing on my pedals. At first I thought it was the usual gunk stuck in the BB but I dismounted everything, regreased, reinstalled and the creaking is still there. I must say that even though I thought this might solve the problem I foudn that the creaking was akward. It was not the usual *grit grit* than is so recognizable but rather what seems to be a torsion noise. When dismounting the BB for regreasing I noticed that there was a crack near the shell. trying to be optimistic I reassembled everything thinking I couldn't conclude before going for another ride and seeing how the sound had evolved. I'm just back from that ride and nothing has changed, still creaking when pushing hard on the pedals. So I'd like an opinion as I have no clue how carbon stress cracks look or evolve. So have a loo at the attached pictures and tel me what you think!

·
Anything on 2 wheels
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ho yeah I forgot to tell. I got a triathlon this next sunday. Say you think I should return the frame for warranty, would you strongly advise not riding the tri with this frame? That would leave me to do the race with a MTB hardtail but hey, it's just for fun anyways!

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
PissedOffCil said:
It definitely seems deeper than a simple paint scratch. I can fit a nail in it...
I am a little confused about what you can fit a nail in. It seems as though that is just a surface crack in the paint from the pics, but if you are telling us then you have a deep gorge that you can fit a "nail in" then you have already identified that there is a crack, right?

And from experience (but that it with AL) paint cracks never occur if the frame isn't cracked underneath...
Not true- My kestrel has little cracks in the paint that were just that, paint cracks and a little separation from between the paint and the frame itself, but nothing wrong structurally with it.

We can't tell you online what to do. If the creaking is noisy as hell, and it sounds like something is about to blow, then I wouldn't ride it. However, Tri's are normally pretty flat with minimal if any tight corners. The pace is normally slow and steady. IF you had to race on frame, a tri would seem to put the least stress on a frame of all racing types.

·
Anything on 2 wheels
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wasn't clear on fitting a nail in. I can't really fit it in because it isn't wide enough but It seems to me to be larger that what a paint crack would be. As for the noise, yes it's pretty damn loud and not getting better. It's loud enough that I'm embarassed to pass on people when climbing or sprinting.

As for paint cracks, I'm aware that they can happen but then the crack doesn't have the same look as a stress crack. The paint cracks I've seen don't tend to propagate in a line as is the case here. They will usually propagate as crocodile scale I think.

So I think all of you would have the frame checked. I'd go tomorrow but then I fear that they'll want to keep it and that I'll have to race on my MTB which would really be a bummer. I doubt that doing one relax ride on friday and the race on sunday will really be a problem. Anyone would not recommend doing this?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.