Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Shut up legs!
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am installing an Ultegra 6500 BB in my frame. The BB has indication of Left and Right, however from which perspective of the frame is the L and R threaded in? I mean am I looking at my L and R as I am facing forward with the bike (rear to front of bike) or when I am facing towards the bike (front to rear)?

My intuition tells me it's the former, however I still have a lingering feeling it could be the latter.

Can someone please confirm this.

thank you

·
Big is relative
11,901 Posts
kdub said:
I am installing an Ultegra 6500 BB in my frame. The BB has indication of Left and Right, however from which perspective of the frame is the L and R threaded in? I mean am I looking at my L and R as I am facing forward with the bike (rear to front of bike) or when I am facing towards the bike (front to rear)?

My intuition tells me it's the former, however I still have a lingering feeling it could be the latter.

Can someone please confirm this.

thank you
You are sitting on your bike facing forward. Left and right. They are threaded differently (assuming english thread) as well. Drive side (right) is left handed threads, non-drive is right handed threads. If your bike has an english bottom bracket, they won't go in the wrong side unless you force it and trash the threads. If it is an italian thread bottom bracket, both sides are right hand thread but should still be marked. Torque it down, you will be suprised just how much force is required to meet the factory spec.

·
Shut up legs!
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Bill.. So I got it correct. My BB is italian threading.

I am almost successful with the BB install today. The only problem is there is a 1mm gap on the removable ring size. No matter how hard to try to thread in that last 1mm it won't go further. The BB width is 70mm and the Ultegra BB is also 70mm. The threading inside the BB appears to be clean so I don't think chasing is necessary. I have a feeling the problem lies in the removable ring piece. Threading on the ring fnishes at the very back about 1mm to 1.5mm away from the flange; leaving a threadless gap. I think the lack of threading all the way to the flange is creating this gap. I have been researching on what I can put there to fill the space and I think a cassette spacer would fit. Upon researching, I think the diameter of the hole for a cassette is the same as the BB, thus I can try to find a 1mm or 1.5mm cog spacer to use as my BB spacer. I hope this is correct. I don't know much about bicycle building and have been spending hours and hours on the internet researching and teaching myself how to built it.

I bought a very nice repair stand today! I love it.. It makes working on the bike easy as well as serving as a nice display stand for my gorgeous frame.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.