Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just scored a 70?-80's? Nishiki frame and was wondering which bottom bracket to get for it? I measured the BB shell at 70 mm....Is this correct? I thought only Italian frames have this size.

Also... I have an old sugino road crank. Will this work for my fixed gear project?

·
Registered
21,524 Posts
Italian tests

danyowrong said:
II measured the BB shell at 70 mm....Is this correct? I thought only Italian frames have this size.
I would be surprised if your measurement is correct, but it is not correct to say that only Italian frames have this size. It is correct to say that only frames with Italian threaded BBs have this size. If there are still BB cups in there, they may well be labeled - Italian threads are 36x24, English are 1.37x24. If the frame is bare, check to see if the fixed cup threads are right hand (same as left side/adjustable cup). If they are right hand threads on both sides, then you have Italian.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
And if indeed they are Italian, you might want to consider applying some Locktite to the threads when you assemble them. They have a tendency to unscrew themselves after awhile.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Colnago Nishikis?

danyowrong said:
I probly measured wrong...although I was reading something about a Colnago made Nishiki in the 70's. I'll check the threading later.
Geez, Colnago doesn't even make half of their own bikes, I really doubt they made somebody elses.

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
Mark McM said:
Geez, Colnago doesn't even make half of their own bikes, I really doubt they made somebody elses.
It's been a long time since the 70s. Who can say how things went down back in prehistory?:D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I finally got around to looking at the bb. The bb cup is definetly 70mm, the right side has left hand threads. I screwed in some bb cups from another english threaded bike and they fit. Will the standard 68x103 bb work with some adjustments or do I have some kind of oddball bike?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts