Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
i like whiskey
8,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I'm back again with yet another question re: my SS/Fixie build. I hope I'm not getting too annoying yet.

I purchased a set of NOS Shimano 600 cranks. They are 42x53 doubles that have a square taper. My question is what spindle length BB do I need to get? I thought I needed a 68x110, but I just read something in the archives that mentioned that I might need a shorter spindle (like a 103 or so) to accommodate the square taper. Is this true?

Thanks in advance for your replies, and your patience with my questions.

J.

·
i like whiskey
8,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, now I'm really confused

surreal said:
the 110 spindle would be recomended if you were running the cranks as a road double, as the factory intended. if you're looking to run it with a single ring for a fixie, and you're using a standard 120mm 'track' hub, you'll *probably* need a 107 for straight chainline, but that's just a guess.

it could be slightly shorter or longer, but the 110 is almost certainly going to be too long.
-rob
I just read Sheldon's site again and the table on http://www.sheldonbrown.com/bbsize.html#ultegra suggests a 113. So my assumption is that this is for use with a cassette on the back? The Suzue hub is a standard 120 and I was planning running on the inside position in the front.

What is the possible problem with running a chainline that is off? Am I losing power or pedaling efficiency or risking throwing the chain, or is it only an asthetic issue? Is there a point, say 5mm for example, that you are increasing your risk of damage because of a bad chainline? Or are you fine up to 5mm and need to adjust after that?

Man oh man. I need to go back and read some more. Maybe bribe the head wrench at my LBS with some beer and see what he says.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.