Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the problem I am having: when the Campy Record BB and cranks are installed, the right crank arm is about 5-6mm from the chain stay and the left side arm is about 10mm from the chain stay. My right shoe would rub the chainstay a bit.

Since it's a brand new Colnago with new Campy parts, my guess is the bike shop overdid the facing on the bottom bracket.

That said, is there a washer I can get from somewhere to install between the right BB cup and the frame to help remedy the problem? Thanks.

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
unlikely...

It’s highly unlikely BB facing could cause a problem that severe. The proper way to check for a problem is to measure the chainline. The big ring should be 47-48mm from the center of the seat tube to the tip of a tooth. If that’s 5-6mm too far to the right, then the little ring would be extremely close to the chainstay. On some bikes the little ring would be touching the right chainstay. Measure from the side of the seat tube and add half of the ST diameter to get the centerline to ring measurement.

More likely, the chainstays are not symmetrical, perhaps by design.

It’s also possible that you have the wrong spindle length and/or taper.

Here’s a link to BB spacers.

http://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.cgi?id=597806211112&nr=21&b=&c=&sc=&tc=&q=bottom bracket spacer&s=

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input, C40.

The chainline is a bit off too. When the chain is on the small ring and the second smallest cog, the chain would rub the big ring. The small ring is about 2mm from the chainstay. The BB is Campy 102mm Italian. The crank/bb combo worked well on another bike so it must be the frame. I will go measure the teeth to center of the seattube to be sure.

C-40 said:
It’s highly unlikely BB facing could cause a problem that severe. The proper way to check for a problem is to measure the chainline. The big ring should be 47-48mm from the center of the seat tube to the tip of a tooth. If that’s 5-6mm too far to the right, then the little ring would be extremely close to the chainstay. On some bikes the little ring would be touching the right chainstay. Measure from the side of the seat tube and add half of the ST diameter to get the centerline to ring measurement.

More likely, the chainstays are not symmetrical, perhaps by design.

It’s also possible that you have the wrong spindle length and/or taper.

Here’s a link to BB spacers.

http://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.cgi?id=597806211112&nr=21&b=&c=&sc=&tc=&q=bottom bracket spacer&s=

·
Registered
174 Posts
Also confirm that the rear triangle is aligned via string-test (taut string from one rear dropout, around headtube, to other rear drop; measure string to seat-tube on each side; should be exactly equal)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts