Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Superstar
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here used both ceramic and steel BB30 bearings? If so did you notice the ceramics being any smoother than the steel ones at higher cadences? (higher cadence being 80-90)

I had my ceramics replaced, and had steel bearings put it, to me they do not feel as good. Im thinking about purchasing hybrid enduros.

Also has anyone bent their front derailers? I bent my ultegra 6600 derailer this weekend, I was shifting up to my 53 and then my pedals jammed, and I couldnt switch to my 39 for the rest of the ride, not the best in the hills. I used some plyers to bend the hanger back in place.

· Registered
1,894 Posts
Check with CHL he used the ceramic bearing on his Super Six.

· Naso Unicornis
907 Posts
Hi Devastator:

Here's what I have used so far.

1. Cannondale Ceramic Bearings = Poo
2. Enduro Zero Ceramic Bearings = Good but I killed them
3. Enduro Hybrid = Good (still using these - as soon as the 2010 SS6HM gets here)

I find that all three do not have sufficient grease for my taste. The Cannondale ceramic bearings didn't even last a few months (complete garbage). The Enduro Zeros are good but I used a rather thin grease to installl them into the BB30 shell (Rock N Roll Super Coat). The thin grease liquified the already pre-installed grease inside the Enduro Zeros. It was like driving with torn CV Boots. Destroyed the bearings. I do find that all three did not have enough grease for my taste. I packed my current Enduro Hybrids with Phil Wood grease before installation and used the same grease to install them into the BB30 Shell. You won't go wron with eith the Enduro Zero or Enduro Hybrids but I would pack them with a bit more grease.

CHL

P.S. My new CAAD9 that I just picked up has regular steel bearings.

· Registered
1,587 Posts
Also, for whatever reason, many companies use looser dustcaps on the ceramic bearings. So often times, the resistance difference is actually the dustcaps not being as tight. Unfortunately this also means that many times the ceramic bearings are not as well protected against the elements. So if you do a lot of riding in the wet, you might be better of sticking with regular steel bearings.

· Superstar
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info fellas, Ill prolly get the hybrid enduros when I can afford em.

CHL, whats goin on with the Supersix?

· Naso Unicornis
907 Posts
It's due to arrive in late July. It's gonna be the matte black that you received as well. I got a close look at the non HM and the tubes are HUGE! My girlfriend's is gonna have full SRAM Red, while I'll be running Force (Red Shifters though). DA7800 is going on my CAAD9. For the time being, I'll run my Hollowgrams on the CAAD9 but I will switch them to the SS6, when it arrives.

CHL

· Superstar
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
CHL said:
It's due to arrive in late July. It's gonna be the matte black that you received as well. I got a close look at the non HM and the tubes are HUGE! My girlfriend's is gonna have full SRAM Red, while I'll be running Force (Red Shifters though). DA7800 is going on my CAAD9. For the time being, I'll run my Hollowgrams on the CAAD9 but I will switch them to the SS6, when it arrives.

CHL
Cool, I love the look of the huge downtube. Whats up with you having Force and she gets Red? I want to run red shifters and rear derailer, and force front depending on if there are any changes to teh 2011 red. And a set of light weight brake calipers like Ciamillos. I guess if your GF beats you you can blame it on running Force. :wink:

· Registered
1,894 Posts
Blame it on the grouppo, I like that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.