Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do BB30 cranksets/bottom brackets work with the standard english or italian bottom bracket shells? Or does the frame have to be specifically made to match a BB30 bottom bracket only.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Yes you are correct, the frame must be BB30 specific. You can usually go from BB30 to Standard with the help of an insert but not from a standard width BB shell to a BB30 they are too small.

·
Registered
25 Posts
This may not apply since it sounds like you are more interested in putting a bb30 setup on a bike that will only accept 24mm bottom brackets. I recently went through the reverse where I was upgrading my bike to a new carbon frame cannondale made for bb30, but due to a production problem the original bb30 cransket that was spec'd was swaped out for a non-bb30 crankset. They put the adapter in the frame and this allows you to use standard 24mm cranksets. I had a lot of trouble getting around this since the adapter weighs enough to make the frame comparatively heavy to other carbon frames. Technically you can remove it, but Cannondale will void the warranty if you do. I ended up sticking with the bike as the weight was minor and made up for the difference elsewhere. I learned through this process that you really have to think about what you want and what you are sacrificing in this area at least going from bb30 frame to non-bb30 crankset. Don't know if that helps at all.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah that helps.... I'm doing a frame swap early this summer. New frame takes a BB30, old frame doesn't. I'm also upgrading cranksets and the new one only comes in BB30 right now, which I was going to go ahead and get before the frame. Guess I'll have to wait for the crankset and frame together.

·
Registered
25 Posts
By frame swap, are you refering to Cannondale's Frame exchange? If so, the whole production issue shouldn't really impact you. When I was upgrading I was orignally planning on sticking with my aluminum caad5 frame and just getting the Ultegra SL groupset, but quickly realized I could get the same component setup I wanted on a Carbon frame for not very much more (I was going to do a complete overhaul). That's where my problem came in because I got the bike off the shelf and the original specification changed at some point which I could do little to change. If you are just upgrading the frame I don't see why it would be difficult to get them to just send you the BB30 frame without the adapter. The only catch is that you will have to front the extra $$ to get a BB30 crankset. Not too many mid-low price range for those! FSA makes the Gossamer (about $250 I think) for BB30 but they don't have any standard 39/53 this year(at least not that I could find). If you like compact it does look like that have that available for bb30. Next step up for FSA is the SL-K which is expensive. The other option, which is what I decided to do, is get the new frame and adapter together, and take full advantage of all the options out there for nice standard 24mm bb cranksets. I decided to do that and have the Ultegra SL on order to come in and swap out the heavier Gossamer which is on there.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
no. i am buying a new frame/fork and installing my parts on my current frame on that one. it is not a cannondale.

vtrider said:
By frame swap, are you refering to Cannondale's Frame exchange? If so, the whole production issue shouldn't really impact you. When I was upgrading I was orignally planning on sticking with my aluminum caad5 frame and just getting the Ultegra SL groupset, but quickly realized I could get the same component setup I wanted on a Carbon frame for not very much more (I was going to do a complete overhaul). That's where my problem came in because I got the bike off the shelf and the original specification changed at some point which I could do little to change. If you are just upgrading the frame I don't see why it would be difficult to get them to just send you the BB30 frame without the adapter. The only catch is that you will have to front the extra $$ to get a BB30 crankset. Not too many mid-low price range for those! FSA makes the Gossamer (about $250 I think) for BB30 but they don't have any standard 39/53 this year(at least not that I could find). If you like compact it does look like that have that available for bb30. Next step up for FSA is the SL-K which is expensive. The other option, which is what I decided to do, is get the new frame and adapter together, and take full advantage of all the options out there for nice standard 24mm bb cranksets. I decided to do that and have the Ultegra SL on order to come in and swap out the heavier Gossamer which is on there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.