Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sorry if this has been discused before, but i've not been able to find it.

i've just changed my bb30 berings and reinstalled crankset SRAM RED BB30. No spacers were installed, but i've seen that the wavy ring is completely flat. i've red that it should be compressed but not totally flat and i could solve it removing some spacer (but i have'nt any installed!)

i also have some small play in the left crank, just in the crank, not the carnkset. has the cap of the left crank (the one with the torsion of the autoextracting bolt written on it) any regulation to remove this play or is just cosmetic? (it has some tiny holes on pairs on it, but i don't know if there is any tool for it). or sould i use a plastic spacer to solve it? In this case i think i would flat more the wavy ring making more pressure on bearing? am i wrong?

Thanks in advance!!!

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Were the bearings fully seated against the stops in the bb shell? The bearings are usually recessed ~1/2mm or so in the BB shell when fully seated. If pressed in with something too big, they may have stopped flush with the BB shell and not be fully seated. If not fully seated, they may be spaced too far apart causing binding and may be why the wavy washer is flat without any shims. On the drive side there should be bearing cap with the small diameter face oriented toward the bearing. There should be another one of these on the non-drive side. On top of that there should be the number of shims needed, the wavy washer, then the crank arm.

There should be no play at all in the crank arm on the spindle when properly torqued. This is ensured by the way it fits on the splines, not by the shims or wavy washer. The cap over the crank bolt has no function other than to pull the crank arm on removal.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First of all, thanks a lot.

I got 1 mm or so the bearings inside the frame, maybe i torqued too much the crankset as i have not used a dynamometric tool. I think i will remove everything and install everithing again taking care with the torque.

Were the bearings fully seated against the stops in the bb shell? The bearings are usually recessed ~1/2mm or so in the BB shell when fully seated. If pressed in with something too big, they may have stopped flush with the BB shell and not be fully seated. If not fully seated, they may be spaced too far apart causing binding and may be why the wavy washer is flat without any shims. On the drive side there should be bearing cap with the small diameter face oriented toward the bearing. There should be another one of these on the non-drive side. On top of that there should be the number of shims needed, the wavy washer, then the crank arm.

There should be no play at all in the crank arm on the spindle when properly torqued. This is ensured by the way it fits on the splines, not by the shims or wavy washer. The cap over the crank bolt has no function other than to pull the crank arm on removal.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.