Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And I still have the noise, happens with both sets of wheels I have, in the saddle, out of the saddle, no hands (look ma), switched pedals, different skewers, I've taken apart the spider and greased and re-torqued chain rings/bolts, waxed pedal surfaces, checked cleats/applied grease to bolts, checked RD and torqued (can't remember if I put grease between it and the frame).

The more torque I put through the drive train the worse it gets seems to be from 1 to 6-7 a clock position, it is worse from the drive side but both sides make noise.

I am down to chain, cassette and ?, both are 3 seasons old, seem like they are in good working order, and the bike shifts beautifully but I am running out of things to replace/check. So I am going to put a new chain on and check out the cassette, any other ideas?

thanks

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Rats.

Seems you've been very comprehensive in your troubleshooting.

I have no ideas at the present time, sorry to say.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
on a positive note there is no more lateral movement of the crank arms like there was with the campy cups.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Could be your cassette creaking on the freehub. Have you tried greasing the freehub splines?

Are the freehub splines worn?

Is your cassette sufficiently torqued?

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I chased a creak on my mtb for weeks. I swear it was a bottom bracket noise.

I replaced the BB. Still creaky.
Pulled drive train and pedals off bike. Cleaned, greased, and torqued everything. Still creaky.
Pulled off bars, stem, and headset. Cleaned, greased, and torqued. Still creaky.
Going to remove seatpost. Noticed one of the bolt things on the Thomson seatpost was just a touch loose. Duh. That was it. Allowed my saddle to move just enough to make a noise.

So, I pretty much stripped and rebuilt my entire bike before I found the cause. And I should have know to look there much earlier in the process.

Point is creaks on bikes are sometimes a PITA to find. But, just like finding your lost car keys, they are in the last place you look.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Seat post, stem, I've had my RD hanger creaking which I thought was coming from the front - carbon frames, noise sounds like it's coming from anywhere.

by the way, my Praxis continued to creak in my carbon OSBB shell after I installed it, took quite a long time to finally get it quiet.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's torqued to the right spec but I am going to take it off this morning and take a closer look at it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did you do anything to help it get quite it or did it just sort of work itself out?

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
It's torqued to the right spec but I am going to take it off this morning and take a closer look at it.
Are you talking about the Praxis?

As far as I remember there is no torque setting, it's a positive stop. Meaning you tighten until you go all the way and you do not stop before then.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Did you do anything to help it get quite it or did it just sort of work itself out?
I first tried smothering everything in grease, that didn't really help, it would be quiet for about 30 minutes and start creaking again, my last resort was going to be trying to loctite the Delrin cups in (needed for my carbon BB shell) but on a whim I tried putting anti seize on everything rather than grease (anti seize really just required on the threaded bits) and cranked on the BB spanners as hard as I could. It's been ok since then.
i hate creaks, they absolutely do my head in.

·
BikerFox Wannabe
696 Posts
How many miles on crank? Have you replaced the bearings? Seems like that would be the next logical step in troubleshooting your issue.

I silenced a noisy BB30/Campy Ultratorque setup with a Praxis BB converter My bike is dead silent now. Good luck!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No, I was responding to tvad concerning the cassette, I tightened the Praxis till I couldn't tighten it anymore. It's in there rock solid.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
^Put a light coat of lithium grease on the freewheel splines when you have the cassette off. Worth a try.

Are you running 11 speed?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Some pics. Anyone have a joint at the rear triangle like pictured? did it make noise? I am a little hesitant to unscrew it.

Bicycle frame Bicycle part Green Bicycle accessory Bicycle Iron Teal Metal Machine Composite material Vertebrate Dog breed Dog Carnivore Terrestrial animal

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Yes it is plastic

Try spraying some lube under the cable guide or remove it altogether and grease the underside and the bolt.

These are metal, is that what you were getting at?

Maybe the cups or the cartridge bearings are making noise. You can remove the cups and grease them, then reinsert. The cartridge bearings could have been installed dry as well. Same solution.

Have not checked that yet but will do.
As far as the screw holding the dropout to the stay; there's likely some threadlocker on it, but there's no harm in removing it for inspection. As a less invasive solution, flood the area with spray lube and see if the noise abates.

I also see from the photos you have a replaceable derailleur hanger. Threadlock the screws but grease the heads, and grease the surface of the hanger that contacts the dropout.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.