Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sure this has been beat to death but... can the conversion sleeve in a BB30 hole be safely removed. Anyone who has some stats like success vs. failure would be helpful. Also, do I have to have the FSA removal tool, that thing is outrageous and literally no bike shop within 2 hours of me has had one. Half of the "mechanics" don't even know what it is. One guy told me it was the model # for my octalink and when I told him he was wrong he became indignant, but then again who likes to be wrong. Thanks for any help and a play by play instruction will NOT be ignored. I don't want to screw my bike up but I have the BB30 cranks in my hands.

ANYONE IN LOWCOUNTRY OF SOUTH CAROLINA OR SAVANNAH GEORGIA WHO KNOWS OF A SHOP THAT CAN PERFORM THE JOB LET ME KNOW.

·
Registered
653 Posts
from what I hear, the bb30 adapter is very hard to remove, and it's pretty much a permanent piece once it's put in - it's a press fit. Taking the sleeve out will void your warranty and often mess up your frame. Other than that, i have no idea, sorry.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
You can remove it. It's not press fit. While you do have to use a Park Headset press to install it, it's just held in by Loctite.
I don't know anyone in the lowcountry, but call Cycle Center in Columbia, ask for Tim. 803/256-0557. If he can't do it correctly, then...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks backinthesaddle. I called Tim and he is going to do some looking around and see if he can locate the extraction tool. He seemed confident he could do it with the right tool, so I haven't given up yet. FSA sells a tool for extraction....$150!!!! For a hunk of metal :mad: .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts