Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Darling of The Lounge
4,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, almost…

We had a rack of spareribs prepared on the gas grill for dinner last night. I kept the cover open to let the grill cool of a couple hours in order to give it a good cleaning. Darkness sets in and I go out back to remove the grill. As I grab the grate, I hear dull growl and spot a furry blob next to the heating element. Upon gingerly lifting rack holding the
briquettes, these guys stare back at me.

It seems they love the grease drippings and was a little perturbed that I disturbed their dinner. I left the pair alone to continue cleaning my grill. In the future, need to do a critter check before I turn on the propane and hit the igniter.

·
Misfit Toy
23,426 Posts
I know people think they look like big old rats, but I like possums.

·
2 busy workin' 2 hang out
12,638 Posts
snapdragen said:
I know people think they look like big old rats, but I like possums.
My younger brother had one tamed, he could feed it and give it a little pet. Not the best idea but it was pretty cool. They're really amazing animals.

http://www.planetpossum.com/facts.htm
Amazing Opossum Facts and Theories

Opossums are the only marsupial native to North America
They lived 70 million years ago during the Mesozoic Era in the late Cretaceous period
Adults weigh 5 to 15 lbs, while newborn babies are about the size of a honey bee
Their life span is 3 years in the wild; longer in captivity
They are often mistaken for a large rat, but they are not rodents, they are marsupials
Prehensile tail is used for climb-ing and for carrying nesting materials - both males and females build nests
Gestation period is a very fast 13 days
Once out of the pouch, babies ride on top of mom, hanging onto her fur
Opossums are immune to rattle snake venom, rabies and distemper
While "playing possum," they emit a smelly substance from their anal gland which smells like rotten meat. This makes the opossum appear to be a rotting carcass and most predators will not eat him.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts