Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Frog Whisperer
40,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so, let me run this past you "cooking people" here. I am going to try a new bbq sauce recipe I came up with. I haven't even tried it at all yet BUT I am considering :
1.) tomato paste
2.) brown sugar
3.) cider vinegar
4.) habenero paste (home made)
5.) cayenne flakes
6.) powdered mustard
7.) Molasses
8.) fresh cranberry puree
9.) pureed onion
10) pureed garlic

it is essentially my regular with the addition of the cranberries

All ingredients volumes will be to taste. What do you think?

LWP.... I want some feed back

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
I think it'll be tasty with the cranberry. Especially with the hab puree which is on the fruity side too. I've made bbq sauce using blueberries.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think it'll be tasty with the cranberry. Especially with the hab puree which is on the fruity side too. I've made bbq sauce using blueberries.
Cranberries are wonderfully tart too.. so I would need less vinegar I think, the tomato, habenero, cranberry and cider vinegar all add a fruity note. I have used wine vinegar before too. I have used a cranberry mustard as a glaze for salmon and it was wonderful.

I think this might work well as a glaze too

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
That sounds good without the cranberries, and the cranberries should really brighten it up.

·
gazing from the shadows
27,288 Posts
Depending on proportion, should be good indeed. The tartness of the fresh cranberries should work well with the heat and sweet... and as LWP said, habs have some good fruit tones to bring to the pool.

Are you cooking it? For how long?

I would probably saute some things, then add liquids and boil the cranberries until they burst, then blender or immersion blender. Depending on how smooth I needed it to be.

·
gazing from the shadows
27,288 Posts
Cranberries are wonderfully tart too.. so I would need less vinegar...

I would not cut the vinegar I would add more heat and sugar instead. The key is balance between all three.

Salt? Or do you leave that for the item you put the sauce on? A touch of salt would go in, but only a touch, if I were making it.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
every fall my wife and I fill a small freezer with cranberries, after T-giving the go on special and we buy about 40 bags, We love them!

·
Frog Whisperer
40,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would not cut the vinegar I would add more heat and sugar instead. The key is balance between all three.

Salt? Or do you leave that for the item you put the sauce on? A touch of salt would go in, but only a touch, if I were making it.
I don't generally put salt in anything i am cooking as an ingredient.(pickling as an exception) I do use salt in rubs when i smoke or slow cook meat. Needless to say, amounts will be adjusted to taste and I understand the fine balance between hot, sweet and tart. I have never followed a recipe for any of my bbq sauces and can inevitably never really duplicate them exactly, that would require writing stuff down

·
Use my Apps :)
959 Posts
Cranberry and habanero goes really well together. I make an cranberry sauce with orange and habanero every T-day and it's always popular.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
it will all be in the balance. Heat, Sweet, and Acid. Idea is good, just got to find the correct balance

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Did you edit out the bottle of 'Totally Naked' beer??? :confused:

·
Russian Troll Farmer
3,424 Posts
You know what would work well, especially for ribs or brisket? A little Asian fish sauce. If you don't believe me, look at the ingredients in L&P's Wocestershire sauce.

·
Roll Out Jeremy
1,785 Posts
so, let me run this past you "cooking people" here. I am going to try a new bbq sauce recipe I came up with. I haven't even tried it at all yet BUT I am considering :

2.) brown sugar
3.) cider vinegar
4.) habenero paste (home made)

6.) powdered mustard

8.) fresh cranberry puree
9.) pureed onion
10) pureed garlic

it is essentially my regular with the addition of the cranberries
Shorten up the list...I crossed out what I would do. If you want thicker just reduce the brown sugar and vinegar gastrique to the consistency you want.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Did you edit out the bottle of 'Totally Naked' beer??? :confused:

Mixed 50/50 with Two Women!
Shorten up the list...I crossed out what I would do. If you want thicker just reduce the brown sugar and vinegar gastrique to the consistency you want.
I understand but I was using the tomato paste for more than thickness, caramelize sugar would certainly take the place of molasses!

·
Banned
Bianchi Nuovo Alloro, Lemond Etape
2,299 Posts
Looks great.

I almost agree with the asian fish sauce - I would go soy sauce.

Also, consider:
coriander
Bay leaves - here is how to do the bay leaves - I use those aluminum tea balls where the two halves screw together. Jam as many as possible in the one half, and screw the top half on, and throw the entire tea ball in there. Easy to get the bay leaves out later.

I am not sure abt both brown sugar and molasses. I usually just do brown sugar. I will try molasses next time.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
molasses has a much darker taste, but I don't use a dark molasses. I actually use Brer Rabbit, light flavor, like a table spoon, not a lot

·
gazing from the shadows
27,288 Posts
Mixed 50/50 with Two Women!

We've made many a similar comment in our house. :D

A little while ago the garbage collector asked my wife where I got it the naked (the recycling had... a few). She told him, but also told him I bought every bottle they had. Which I did because they were out at my normal place, so I knew it was last chance for the year.

It's my wife's go to summer beer.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Did you make this sauce yet? It sounds pretty good.
not yet, but I am hoping, to this weekend, I have a rack of ribs in the freezer

1 - 20 of 28 Posts